Chapter Twenty: Heart on Her Sleeve

CIAO!!!

What is everyone hoping to see from this story???

Don't forget to show your love for Kiss de La Notte by voting, leaving lots of feedback, and sharing this story everywhere you can! Thank you so much for the support!!!

***

Lucius La Notte really was the Devil.

It was the only explanation for everything he did, everything that he was, and all the things that he kept making me feel. He was made from hellfire and sin and everything evil and despicable. A spineless shapeshifter, adjusting how he behaved based on what his own objectives were.

I sat in the La Notte's kitchen, pretending to hold a conversation with Carmine and Gabriella, who were setting up some more appetizers and kept involving me in materialistic discussions about clothes and shoes.

I had an entire charcuterie board to myself with meats, cheeses, crackers and fruits, and you better believe I was stuffing my face. Had to take full advantage of the whole "free food" selling point to staying for dinner at Hell.

In the corner of my eye, I was watching Lucius flirt with one of the female chefs that were preparing their dinner. She was a a gorgeous brunette and probably didn't speak a word of English like the rest of their Italian cooks, but of course being fluent and also having eyes, I could tell she was clearly flirting back.

Stuffing a piece of brie, fig, and cracker into my mouth, I watched Sexy Chef strut across the kitchen and bring him back a small plate of food that I didn't see on the appetizer table.

Lucius looked down at the plate and popped one his mouth, smiling up at her like he was very pleased. I cared much more than I wanted to admit, but I told myself I had full control over how I felt.

Until Carmine noticed I was distracted and looked over at Lucius and the chef. And at the worst moment possible, Sexy Chef had her hand resting on his bicep as she laughed at something he said.

"She's awfully giggly," Carmine commented, crossing her arms over her chest. "Aren't you going to say something?"

I tried to act nonchalant. "What are you talking about?"

"Sexy Chef is making the moves on my brother. You're supposed to be his girlfriend, aren't you?"

I refilled my wine glass, struggling to ignore her baiting. "I trust Lucius."

"Ha. Well, you shouldn't." Carmine finished plating her appetizers and wiped her hands on a napkin before turning toward me. "In case you don't already know, my brother isn't exactly the committed type. If I had to guess, I'd say he's the wandering type."

That made my head lift. "He's cheated on past girlfriends?"

"You have to have a girlfriend to cheat," Carmine said, glancing over at Lucius again with a little evil smirk. "It looks awfully like you might be the first, though."

Carmine started plating a small portion of food herself, and I grit my teeth. Inhaling slowly through my nose, I did what I had to do and strut over to Lucius and his little friend.

"There you are, amore."

Lucius turned his head toward me just as I kissed him. I felt a small tinge of heat shimmy down my back at how soft and enticing his lips felt against mine, and how his hand reached up to hold my waist, just before pulled back. I cleared the mental slate of my brain to focus at the task on hand.