Chapter Forty-Two: Satisfied

HI.

YOUR EYES DO NOT DECEIVE YOU.

BUT YOUR AUTHOR WILL. MWAHAHAHAHA 

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND LEAVE ME LOTS OF FEEDBACK IF YOU'RE EXCITED FOR MY UPDATES!!!!

XOXO,

GOSSIP KAT

***

    I couldn't believe I'd fucked Lucius La Notte.

Well, I could, but I didn't want to. The soreness lightly pulsing between my legs was the Devil's reminder. This was bound to happen at some point, I just couldn't believe it'd happened the way it did.

I don't know what I'd been expecting out of it, but I'd known what I'd feared. I'd feared that that the disturbing and undeniable chemistry I had with Lucius would worsen after we slept together. But now that the deed was done, it seemed like the secrets between us were too strong to make me feel anything too dangerously deep like...infatuation. In fact, the whole experience had felt rather anticlimactic, and I was certain it wouldn't happen again any time soon.

Five minutes until showtime. I slipped a forkful of food into my mouth and forced down another spoonful of food. Then I turned to Lucius and studied his profile as he slid a piece of steak off his fork with his teeth.

The man was stupid-hot and for no damn reason. Not in a pretty way, but in a rugged, red-flag way. The kind of damaged walking-red-flag you bring back to your apartment because you know he'll throw you around and play with you in all the delicious ways good men are too cowardly to attempt.

A muscle in Lucius' upper jaw flexed as swallowed his second glass of red wine, and I remembered how his stubble felt against my fingertips as I rode him in that dining hall chair. A man this screwed up and emotionally unavailable shouldn't have been blessed with a cock that felt that good, but that's always how it worked, wasn't it?

He turned his head toward me and caught me staring. "Satisfied?" he asked.

Smiling despite myself at his usual overconfidence, I looked down at my untouched steak and made a point to cut into it. "Not in the way I would have liked it to be, honey bear."

Lucius wiped his napkin over his mouth to hide a wolfish grin. "That steak does look a little overcooked." His hazel eyes glittered as he leaned into me. "I'll make sure to give you something raw next time."

I almost choked and played it off by swiftly sipping my wine.

Lucius was tapped on the shoulder and smoothly entered another conversation.

Across the room, Anthony Cafaro, aka my abusive ex's eldest brother of the three, lightly swirled his wine glass in his hand by a door exiting into the backyard of the event venue. My cousin Tomasso, who had been disguised as a waiter, had passed him a note from me with explicit instructions to meet me outside by the gazebo.

When I made eye contact with Anthony, he inclined his head for me to follow him before shouldering open the door and heading outside.

It was time.

Gracefully standing, I turned away from the pretentious woman to my right, who had been aimlessly bragging to me about her new shoes for who knows how long and placed my hand on Lucius' shoulder to kiss his cheek.

"I'm heading to the ladies room."

Lucius, who had been shaking hands with a man beside him, briefly turned over his shoulder, the stain of my lips like his own curse on his cheek. "Ok, bella."

Outside of the event room, Tommaso was waiting for me at a coat closet. Without a word, he helped me slip on my coat and passed me a box of cigarettes.