Chapter Thirty-Four: Sin on the Soul

YEEEEE HAWWWWWWWW

IT DO BE TIME FOR LA MANO DEL DIAVOLO!

Please vote, comment, and leave lots of feedback!! It helps me and my writing so much. <3

And this one's a poodle named Poof," Mia was telling Lucius at the kitchen counter, her hand-decorated Christmas ornaments scattered all over the counter. 

Mia was kneeling on a stool and showcasing each one individually to him, while I was prepping a homemade Caesar dressing to go with the side salad for dinner. "Gemma said she likes poodles and this one is really puffy with white hair, so its name is Snowball."

"I like the pink bow on Snowball's head," Lucius said, holding the translucent ornament in the palm of his hand.

"Thanks, but please don't touch it with your giant man hands," Mia said, taking the ornament away rather rudely.

Opting not to jump in and correct Mia as per usual, I snapped the kitchen towel I was using over my shoulder and continued making dinner.

"Snowball is very delicate and a girly-girl like Gemma," Mia continued to explain to Lucius, picking a grape off the vine of fruit Gemma had set on the counter earlier. "She was recently groomed so she has a bow. We've never had any pets because nobody was home enough and animals are a lot of work, but since the accident I've been home like all the time. None of us are allergic, I think, and Gemma had a dog before. Daddy might want one if he sees my cute ornaments. Have you ever had a dog?"

"No, never." Lucius turned to me, handing me his plate. "Honey, can you put some more seasoning on this? It's a little bland."

"Sure thing." I took the plate from him, wishing I could laser his stupid pretty eyes with my own and melt them into his head.

"My family is very similar to yours," Lucius answered, as I plopped his plate onto the counter and opened up te spice rack. "Most of us aren't home enough to take care of a dog."

"Oh." Mia paused. "Do you kill people?"

My head snapped over my shoulder to look at Mia, horrified. "Mia."

"What?" Mia gave an innocent shrug. "I want to know if you're marrying a murderer."

Knowing Lucius' murder count was equivalent to asking him his body count with women. A part of me wanted to know the answer, and another part of me already knew it was higher than I could stomach.

"Go set the table," I told Mia, not having this discussion with her right now.

"Or what?" Mia sassed.

I put Lucius' plate back in front of him. "Or I'll take away your switch for a whole week."

Lucius released a low whistle.

"I don't care. My games are getting old anyway."

"Mia, listen to your sister," Lucius said, seeming unbothered as he bit into a fresh piece of Pagnotta bread on his plate. I could tell how high strung I was because just him getting involved set me off.

"Go set the table, or I'm calling Papa," I said.

Rolling her eyes, Mia slid off her stool and went into the dining room. Lucius didn't say anything, but I could see he had his lips pinned together like he was holding back a laugh.

"It's not funny," I said. "I don't need you to get involved when I'm disciplining her."

"She just asked me a question. One that I never would have answered anyway. Why are you jumping down my throat?"