Chapter Eight: Little Devil

CIAO!!!! OMGGGGGG. 

HOW ARE YOU????? 

LET ME SEE THOSE ITALIAN FLAG EMOJIS!!!!

Lol. Don't forget to leave lots of feedback, vote for this chapter, and share it with your friends to help me out! <333

"Where do you think you're going?" Papà's voice startled me the moment I reached for the handle of the front door.

I turned around like a deer caught in headlights, hiking my duffel bag over my shoulder. "A sleepover at Bianca's," I said. "She's going to be here to pick me up in a few minutes."

Papà's brows caved inward. "A sleepover? When did I give you permission for a sleepover?"

I hadn't hung out with my friends in months other than FaceTiming, and I needed to be social more than ever before. With Mia being homeschooled with Gemma and my father always in meetings, the only interaction I was getting was with Lucifer himself.

My father's eyes flicked to my duffel bag. "Do you think I was just born yesterday?"

I pulled my bag up my shoulder, feeling like this conversation was bound to happen at some point. "You can't control every aspect of my life, Papà. I'm an adult."

"I will if it protects you, cuore mio. There are no bodyguard's on staff tonight."

"Yeah, because the psycho you have me marrying fired Gianni!"

"Lucius gave me good reasons for firing him. He was very concerned about your safety with Gianni. Gianni is older, he isn't as sharp as he should be."

I had to laugh. "Oh, I'm sure Lucius was so concerned about me. I can't believe you trust La Mano del Diavolo over a man who's worked for you for almost fifteen years. Gianni was family. I didn't even get to say goodbye to him!"

My father rubbed his hand over his face. "Korinna, I am doing what is best for this family. The La Notte's––"

"Are invaluable to the family. Yeah, yeah, I know. That doesn't mean you should let them push you around."

"Push me around?" The anger that flashed in my father's eyes made me regret my choice of words. "Make no mistake, I am not being pushed around by anybody. And you are not going out tonight. Especially after this attitude."

I shifted my weight from one foot the other, struggling to keep my emotions toward my father in. I never betrayed my father's trust like this, but I was so sick and tired of following his rules.

"What are you going to do, Papà? Hold me here against my will?" The words just kept falling out before I could stop them. "Keep me locked in this house until you finally drive me away for good like you did with Mamma?"

My father's normally hard expression wavered a little. "Korinna, if you step one foot out that door..."

"What if she's protected?" Lucius' deep, accented voice startled me as slowly meandered into the foyer with his hands in his pockets. I hadn't even known he was still in my house. "I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I just feel Korinna is going through many changes and stress with her classes. It might be good for her mental health to spend time with friends."

I quickly wiped away the tears that I realized had escaped my eyes and stared at Lucius in shock. What the hell? What was he still doing in my house?

My father rubbed a hand over his face. "I don't have anybody on staff tonight, Lucius."

"I'll keep an eye on her," Lucius said. "I'll follow her and her friend's car to her friend's house. Until one of my security guards come to look after her, of course."