Chapter Fifteen: Neck Kisses

Ciao.... ;)

AN EXTRA LONG CHAPTER??? Y'ALL BETTER SHOW SOME LOVE IN THE COMMENTS.

*insert excited pasta emojis*

Question: What's hotter, a neck kiss, or a forehead kiss??

Don't forget to leave lots of feedback if you love this story and give it a vote!!! Share it anywhere you can too, please!! Thanks! xxx

***

Nonna arrived the day before Thanksgiving. 

I couldn't have been any happier to see her, and the whole household seemed to brighten with her energy. She brought with her an endless energy to bake for us, including limoncello cream pie, apple pie, orange-fig cookies, and a luscious cannoli cake that made my mouth water.

"Should I bake something special for your new husband to take home?" Nonna asked, winking at me as I rolled out cookie dough the morning of Thanksgiving. Nonna didn't speak English very well, but she tried her best while mixing in a lot of Italian. "Does he like any desserts?"

"Um, I'm not really sure.

Nonna stopped what she was doing and put her hands on her hips. "How do you not know what your husband likes?"

"Nonna, it's an arranged marriage," Gemma chimed in with a laugh. "They only just met..."

Nonna waved us both off. "Men like chocolate. I will just make something with chocolate. Could you get more flour and chocolate from the pantry, Korinna bambina?"

"Of course, Nonna."

Walking into the pantry, I wiped my fingers on my apron before grabbing another bag of flour. I wanted to correct her on the whole husband thing, since I technically wasn't even engaged yet, but I already felt so guilty knowing the marriage was a big sham and how disappointed Nonna would be. Thinking about being engaged made this whole thing feel way too real, and Lucius teasing me that he wouldn't tell me when he'd propose only made me that much more anxious.

After handing Nonna more flour and chocolate, I went over to Mia where she was working adding sprinkles to the stroffoli.

"Hey, freak," I said, giving her side a tickle as I sat down next to her at the kitchen breakfast table. "Have you ever seen so much sugar in your entire life?"

Mia gave me a little smile, but I could tell she was still down in the dumps from the incident at the mall a few days before. Apparently, Papà had lambasted her for what she had done, but when Mia started crying, he took her to get gelato. They seemed to be on good terms now. Even though I'd apologized to Mia, she'd been acting a little weird around me.

"Gemma's making too much food for dinner," Mia said. "My stomach is going to explode. When's Lucius coming?"

"An hour," I told her. "Think you can come up stairs and help me pick out my outfit?"

Mia wiped at her nose with her wrist since she had honey on her fingers from the struffoli. "What's wrong with what you have on?"

"I got chocolate on my dress," I said, indicating to the part of my outfit under my apron that was dirty.

"Why does Nonna keep calling Lucius your husband?" Mia asked, trailing behind me up the stairs. "You don't have a ring yet."

That's what I'm saying! Not that I want the ring.

"I think she's just excited," I replied.

"I don't know why," Mia said. "He's a criminal."