Chapter 21: He shoots.....

Somehow and I'm really not sure how but we were in the final against again, Iceland. I pulled Adam off to the side and said to him. "Hey. Baby don't worry just stay focused and you'll do great. If your wrist hurts please! Come off. Okay? I love you." "Okay I will. I love you too" He says kissing me then skates away.

The game starts and there must have been 9 people hit in the first 3 minutes. Not a single penalty called. I was worried about what could happen to Adam. The puck just stayed in our end and of course they scored on Goldberg and Iceland was up 1-0. Later as the game went on players were hit and I saw Russ get his 3 times in a row but still stay on. He got the puck as we were in the Iceland zone and Russ flips the puck up for his infamous knuckle puck but gets pushed away by a Iceland player.

Russ gave the puck up and the iceland forward goes down 2 on 0 but a few of USA's teammates behind him. someone catches up and the Iceland player flipped over them. But the puck ended up on another Iceland players stick who obviously scored again. As the siren sounds to signal the sound of a goal. Team USA looked devastated. But we had to do better. I sat up as Gordon put Banksie on the ice and prayed that he won't get hurt again.

I saw him skate down the ice as a player was slashing him and I was hoping that they would stop but they didn't. Adam did a 360* turn at centere ice and then he was slashed and fell to the ice. Everyone in the stadium went muffled. My ears blocked out any sound. The bench complained I started to cry and run to the bench waiting for him to come off. Thank god he came off. He sat by Coach and claimed he was fine and just hit the pad but I wanted him to come but I couldn't put the words together. My eyes cried and my mouth couldn't open. He came over to me and I hugged him. He explained "Hey. Hey I'm okay. He only hit that pad. It's alright. I promise." I broke the hug still crying and slapped him hard in the shoulder and cried out "You scared me don't do that!" He hugged me again quickly and said with a smile. "I won't. I promise." He kissed me then walked over to his spot on the bench and I walked back to my seat.

Luis skated down the ice with Dwayne behind him. Luis took out both defensive men and gave the puck back to Dwayne. Dwayne stick handled the puck around the players but didn't notice the open Dean ready to score. Just like that Dwayne was hit from behind and the Iceland players made there way back to Goldberg. I sighed and slapped my forehead. Luis made his way down the ice and cought up to the player skating down the ice. I cheered for them and hoped that he would catch up. Luis swept the players feet and fell into Goldberg with the other player scoring makeing it 3-0.

I saw them line up behind the net ready for a flying V being lead by Jesse who skated down the ice. Somehow it failed. every player on team USA on the ice was on the ice. Icelandtook the puck and sketed down on Goldberg again. It was a 4 on 0 on Goldberg. The first forward fakes a shot and then passes to the trailer for a one timer shot straight into the net. The score now read 4-0 for Iceland.

The next period starts and right off the bat Averman gets knocked down and I groan as they skate towards our net.

I can't watch. I don't hear the sirens sounding the goal I hear a loud crash thinking it's iceland last defensive hitting someone again but then I hear a familiar scream of the Bash Bros. I peek out of my hands and cheer. I see Kenny skate down the ice after getting it from Goldberg. Kenny skates then leaps into the air and through the D and stands at the net. Fulton says "Pretty cool huh?" to the D-man and passes it to Kenny who shoots it onto the net and the buzzer goes off of us. WE SCORED!!! The score board read 4-1 and I cheered for my team wishing I was out there with them. I get super nauseous from cheering after that goal. I am breathless and I sit down. Adam noticed me breathing heavy and holding my head. He bangs on the glass from the bench and signals me over "Hey you okay? What's wrong?" He says worried. "Nothing. My head hurts a little but it's fine." I shake my head at him. "You sure?" he says unconvinced. "Positive. Now just go play hockey like I know you can I'm so proud of you." he smiles and I walk away.

The third period was about to start when I saw my teammates come out of the dressing room wearing white jerseys with a duck on front and I was happy to see my ducks together. The third period starts and I thought that Goldberg looked a bit different. Then he got the puck took his helmet off and skated down the ice to reveal that it's Russ. He then sets up the puck and hits his knuckle puck and this time flies right into the back of the net. the score it's tied 5-5 with the period over. The game had to end with a shootout.

Each team has to choose 5 shooters. I was so nervous I ran to the beach and hoped over the glass to be with my team because I deserved to be here with my team too. Coach picked his 5 shooters and best of 5 wins the championship.

*Jesse= Scored. 1 Ducks 0 Iceland
*Iceland player=Scored 1 Ducks 1 Iceland
*Guy=Scored 2 Ducks 1 Iceland
*Iceland player=Saved by goldberg 2 Ducks 1 Iceland.
*Dwayne=Saved By Iceland Goalie 2 Ducks 1 Iceland
*Iceland player=Scored. 2 Ducks 2 Iceland
*Fulton=Scored (off the face and in) 3 Ducks 2 Iceland
*Iceland player=Scored. 3 Ducks 3 Iceland.

It was Adams turn to shoot. I held my hands together and put them under my chin as he rotated his stick in his hand. He looked at me. Gordon's hand on my shoulder I nod and smile to mouth the words "Deep Breath. Calm down" he nods back and smiles. He kicks the puck with his skate and goes down the ice. He stick handles right then left then back and forth. He shoots. It ricocheted off of the goalies pad and into the net. I jump and scream and cheer. I cry happy tears and hug Gordon and Charlie. I run to Adam and hug him as tight as I possibly can and kiss him "I am so proud of you Banksie" I kiss his cheek and whisper in his ear.

Now it's up to Julie to stop this last puck and if she saves it Ducks win. It's all up to this moment. He shoots. Julie stands up and stares at the Iceland player while dropping the puck from her glove. The bench goes wild. The ducks rush on the ice and hug Julie. Gloves fly around and people hug I stay on the bench shocked and about to pass out. My vision sways side to side then someone comes up to me and grabs my hands "Hey you alright?" The voice spoke. It was Adam. "Yeah I'm great. We won Adam!!" I replied back "Yeah we did! Cmon!" he hold out his hands and I stop playing with Adams team USA jacket sleeve and take them as he guides me on the ice and hands me the USA banner and we wave it around together. I smile at him and I said to him with pure joy. "Adam I got an email today from Stanford. And I've been accepted into the AP Human Biology program to learn and learn to cure my disease. I have a 4 year scholarship too! Isn't that amazing?! You could play hockey there or at Berkeley?! Then we will alway be tog-" I was interrupted by a older looking man. "Hello. Are you Adam Banks?" he said as I turned around from his hug. Adam looks up from me and relpied "Um- Yeah I-I'm Adam Banks." I giggle because he's nervous and he knows that this guy is a scout "Ah yes then I have some exciting news for you Adam.(Adam smiled ) I would like to offer you a full four year hockey scholarship at Notre Dame in the fall. Would that be something that you would like to do?" he explained. "Um yeah for sure! Thank you sir!" Adam says. He looks at me. He's so happy. I try to fake a smile. He noticed. "Hey wha- Oh I see. your going to be in college in San Francisco and I'm going to be-"he starts. "On the other side of the country. Yeah I know." I start to cry. Because I know how much I going to miss him when we leave. "What are we gonna do?" He asked starting to cry. "Well we are going to be almost 3,000 miles apart. I don't wanna break up." Adam cried harder as he said those words that made my heart shatter. Which only made me cry more. "Adam we have all summer to think about that but right now... celebrate this win. You deserves this!" I say through my tears. He nods with tears and I hug him to show it'll be okay. Bud I had to think if I was okay or not.