AAO | OpenWounds | 31

__________________________

Open Wounds

*You should definitely listen to the song. I love her music, but this gives a bit of insight on how BG feels.
__________________________

"Nobody said it would be easy. Nothing worth having ever is."
- Layton Iman Westbrooks
__________________________

Saturday | September 7th

"So, how is school coming along?" Rocco asked as he occupied the chair across from Layton. It was a Friday evening and he'd asked Layton out to dinner. She was hesitant at first, but decided to go anyway. She'd been trying to force herself to like Rocco more, but that just only made her like him that much less. It was actually a weird situation for her to be in, but she went with it.

"It's going great actually. I mean, we just started only a few weeks ago .. but I feel pretty confident with my classes and professors." She shrugged, indulging into the small talk that he was offering. Rocco was one of those naive and gullible guys. Anybody could see that Layton wasn't interested in him as more than a friend, everybody but him. He was a great dude, but her head just wasn't where his was. It could be in the future, so that kept her from ruining her chances with him .. just in case her plans didn't work out like she had hoped.

Rocco nodded. "That's good to hear. Keep up the good work and it will all pay off when you get that degree. I am actually thinking about going back to school. I had always wanted to follow in my dad's footsteps and get my CDL, so I'm considering that. Im getting older and it's time for me to start settling down, have a few kids, and be happy and enjoy living. I think I'm ready to be a father and husband soon." He explained, looking for Layton to give a response that was aligned with his.

"That's nice. Truck driving seems like a nice trade for a person like you. I think you should go for it." She'd said, purposely not addressing the family and kids. He picked up on it, but he wasn't about to let it just slide.

"I'm glad to have your input. Shit, I'm not getting any younger. I'm 26. Before you know it, I'll be 30. Since we're already on the topic, how do you feel about kids in your future?" Rocco asked, doubling back over into the kids and family conversation she wanted to avoid. Layton damn near choked on her wine, then frowned.

"What?" She asked, obviously stalling. The questions she knew was to come, only made her gulp her wine a bit faster than she had been before. She was already in the middle of her second glass, one more and she'd be tipsy and ready to go home. Layton was a lightweight, just like Benji was. They both weren't really drinkers.

"Kids. Do you want kids?" He reiterated again for her.

Layton sighed, finally placing her empty cup back on the table. "Uh ... I don't know. Definitely not anytime soon. I still have like three years before I graduate. So, by the time I'm 25, I'll just really be graduating and in my field. I don't know if a baby is in my plans." She'd expressed to him honestly. Layton never had really sat down and thought about kids after her past situation.

Rocco nodded. "I understand, we'll get there." He told her, causing her to frown a bit. Rocco was talking a lot about making plans this date and she didn't know if he was even in her plans. Layton wasn't sure about much lately, and the plans he had were just driving her away from him rather he knew it or not. She didn't bother to say anymore, she just picked around her food slowly.