AAO | Pilot | 0

Against All Odds ™️

All Rights Reserved 2019 | Vanessa Wright ©️

There should no copying of any parts of this story. Consequences may vary for such offense.

Against All Odds is an urban novel. It contains obscene descriptive scenes, vulgar language, a ton of violence, and many other aspects that is RatedR. You have been warned, therefore if any category stated in the statement above isn't of your interest feel free to exit the story. Thanks in advance to all that continue beyond this point of the book and I hope you enjoy!

- Vanessa

__________________________

OPENING | Pilot
__________________________
Show no fear to your enemies. Only contempt. Never let anyone look down on you. You're just as good as any of them. I don't care who they are. Better in fact. In our world, Dagans are royalty and you, my son, are a prince. - Brenda Gotti
__________________________

Thursday | January 1, 1998

     Benjiman Cartier Gotti, a solid baby boy weighing in at 6 pounds and 9 ounces birthed into the world at the very start of the year, January 1st, 1998. A young and scorned Brenda cradled her handsome baby boy into her chest tightly, not wanting to ever let him go. Being pregnant at the age of thirteen wasn't easy for her, especially when all of the people around tried to shove abortion on her without option. Brenda wasn't having it though, she refused to kill her baby boy and abandon the blessing God had given her. Although it was a blessing for her, it got her kicked out from her home and then left to become a single mother in the blink of an eye. Still, she took the hand she was dealt and kept playing the game of life, pregnant and all.

While looking into the eyes of her son at now the age of fourteen, all of her troubles she had gone through seemed worth every moment. Despite her not having the first clue as to how to raise a child, let alone how to provide for one, she continued to smile as if there wasn't a worry in her mind. The joy she felt had over powered any worry she had, for not at least. Right in this moment, he was enough to make her world. This moment was enough to complete her young mind, it just wasn't enough to take care of her and her child. Brenda was so lost on what her next move would be, what her next meal would be, where her and her son would lay their heads, but still she felt joy.

"Benjiman Cartier Gotti." Brenda whispered down to her son as he stared back up at her with those pretty brown eyes she'd blessed him with. As if she knew he could hear and understand the words she spoke, she continued. "I promise to be the best mom to you as I can, despite our circumstances. My promise to you is that I will always protect you, love you, support you, guide you, and give anything in this world for you. I would give my life for you. You are my son and I am your mom forever and ever. It's us against this cold world out here baby boy, but we'll survive the storm, I promise." She finished and kissed his forehead.

Brenda Marie Gotti had the weight of the world now all on her shoulders and with baby Benjiman born, it only got heavier for her. During her pregnancy, she'd attended her freshman year in high school up until it was too much for her and she dropped out. She lived in a group home alone with seven other girls around her age who held a past, just as hers. Brenda did not wear a single flaw on her sleeve, she kept herself up as much as she possibly could. She had the richest of chocolate skin and thickest black tresses. Her beauty was radiant, many said she'd resembled a youth Tika Sumpter. She was a gorgeous black young woman.