13

My eyes widen when I realize that she really is alive. "Ami?" She nods. I instantly pick her up and hold her close. "My baby. My sweet little girl. I missed you so much. Where have you been?" She smiles. "I ran and hid like you said momma. They didn't find me. They took my dolly that looked just like me and made her look dead. There are people chasing me. Please help." I look up i see two men looking around suspiciously.

"Girls let's go. We are taking an exit away from those men. Let's get little Ami home." They all nod and we walk off. I keep A!I out of the men's sight. We make it to the door before I'm stopped by a hand on my shoulder. I immediately tense. "Hey, who's the girl?" Josh asks. I sigh relief.

"Promise not to get mad and I will explain at home." He nods. "Good. Now let's get out of here before those men notice her." I walk quickly to Josh's truck. "What did you come here for?" I ask. "My wolf was agitated. He wanted his mate." I nod.

We spend the rest of the drive in silence, other than Ami singing along to the radio. Once we get to the house I carry Ami into the office. "Alright Ami, you need to be very quiet while I talk to Josh. Here actually, play on this." I say handing her my phone. Josh looks at me wide eyed since I never let anyone use my phone.

"Josh you need to be quiet and let me speak. When I am done then you may speak." I wait until he nods before continuing. "She is my daughter. She is turning six soon. I had her when I was thirteen. I hid her in a little closet room. No one knew about her. Not even Emberly. A couple years ago when she was four, I told her to run and hide, because we were under attack. She did. The men brought back her doll I gave her that looked like he and was the same size. They made it look dead so I thought she was dead. Turns out she's been living on her own. Before you ask, no I don't know the father. Nor was it willingly. But either way she is my baby."

He stares at me in shock for a bit. "Little Ami, come here." He says. "Ok." She hands me back !y phone and walks over to him. "Is what your mom said true?" He asks. She nods. "My momma saved me. I found her in the mall today when I was running. I missed her. Are you my friend?" I look at him. "Of course! I'll even be your personal protector."

"Like a dad? I've seen other girls with their dad's. They were always so happy! They got to play. My momma said we were better off without a man. I am an independent young woman. Just like momma said I should be." A!I rambles. "Just like a dad. I'm sure you are very independent if your mom raised you."

"Sister!" Cammie runs into the room and jumps in my arms. She looks down at Ami and I set her back down. "Who are you? Why are you with my sister? Go away. She doesn't need you clinging to her." Cammie rudely states. Ami doesn't let it phase her. "My name is Ami. That is my momma. I'm not clinging to her. I just haven't seen her for a couple years is all."

"Oh! Well that's ok. I'm Cammie, or Cam, or Cameron. What ever you want to call me." My daughter thinks. "So if I called you Camo?" She asks. "That works." I just watch as they start to play in the office.

When they knock the lamp off the table I jump to catch it. "Alright girls! Who wants a picnic?" I ask. "Me!" Three voices yell in unison. Wait a second... Three voices. "I guess Josh is just as excited. Let's go. Josh you get the blanket, your swimsuit, and towels. We will go to the lake. Girls I will get you your stuff. Want to help pack the basket?" They nod eagerly. And with that we are off.