4: Colour Me Surprised Pt.2

The two teens stared at each other across the apartment. 

Hitoshi was going to beat the kid up. His foster parents had woken him up at 'let me fucking sleep' o'clock in the morning because they were bringing home the dude who stole his fucking wallet?! And they had to know it was him, Shota had said he was going after him that night. 

Miki was going to bolt. Did they know he robbed this guy? They had taken his wallet from his backpack but they had also taken the other two wallets he had stolen, which were drained dry at this point. If they didn't know would they call the police? The kid had got to be their son. Things were different when it was one of your family members who was robbed. 

"Ah, Toshi! You're awake." Hizashi said, rushing over to hug the boy. They touched for barely a second before Hitoshi pushed his foster father off and made his way over to the boy. Before either of the adults could even guess what they were going to do Hitoshi challenged the boy and both stood still. 

Not an anxious kind of still, a paralyzed kind of still. The idiots had used their quirks on each other again, although the adults in the room didn't know it had happened once before. 

"Get out of my home." "Forget I was ever here." "Like fuck I'm going to forget!" "Like fuck I'm going to leave when you could just call the cops on me at any moment! Forget about me!" "Fucking leave!". 

Both seemed a little out of breath from the screaming they were doing. Shota walked over to settle the fight and Hizashi couldn't help but be amazed. Miki was the first person who had a strong enough will to just ignore one Hitoshi's commands like it was never ordered. Even he and his husband, for all they were stubborn, resorted to Shota's quirk the one time Hitoshi used his quirk on them. But that was a long time ago, and the boy had only gotten stronger. 

Despite having his quirk erased Hizashi could make out the one light in Miki's eyes, the small pink heart. "Sho, his quirk is still in use." He said matter-of-factly. No malice at all behind it. 

"I can't turn that shit off. It takes a while to fade." Miki said through gritted teeth. "Look, purple head, you obviously have a loving family here, and I don't want any trouble. Just don't tell them how we met and we can go our separate ways.". 

"I've already told them also-what makes you think I'm so happy?" 

"Cause I still have a hook in your head and you're happy where you are!" "That's-" 

Hitoshi stopped. He was long past the point of denying that he was happy with his parents. It would be immature to drag that back just to chew out some rando. The situation was really weird though, he was sure the thief was an adult but the kid in front of him was shorter and younger than him. 

"Alright, that's enough you two." Hizashi said, raising his hands "Toshi, come with me. I can explain everything. Miki, you will not be leaving. If you want to stay out of the 'system' you have to stay with us.". Hitoshi walked over to him immediately proving to the couple that his hostility was less out of genuine anger and more out of confusion and a bit of fear. 

Miki bit the inside of his cheek, seeming to think about whether or not he would be staying with them. It was cruel to think but he was much easier to deal with under the symptoms of quirk exhaustion. 

Obviously he had jinxed himself as the moment Miki started walking back to him and away from the apartment's front door he collapsed, gripping the back of a nearby couch for support. Shota rushed to him instantly and lifted the boy up. He clutched his brow bone, hands covering his eyes. He was in so much pain and Shota's heart sagged at the thought. 

Carefully he put the boy down on the couch. Before he could offer him some water or pain killers, the hero's cellphone rang. It was Hana, so immediately he told Miki he was getting him a glass of water and walked to the kitchen to retrieve it and take the call in private. 

----- ----- ------- ------ ------ ------ ------- ------- ------ 

Shota must have re-loaded the page at least a dozen times but the information he had been sent remained the same. 

Hana was able to track down pretty much all the information on Miki that existed. His school records, birth certificate, parents and grandparents data, the whole works. 

The part he still couldn't believe was the fact that they had located one of his parents, which according to the government still had legal rights over Miki. 

It terrified him. There was so much trauma contained in the teen's tiny body already. Who knows what reuniting him with a parent who abandoned him would do? And if they didn't believe Miki's statements about being abandoned and not having any contact with either parent for most of his life was enough to terminate those parental rights, he could be taken right out from under his and Hizashi's noses. 

This of course made him realize that it was far too early to be attached to the boy. Miki had been there less than 48 hours and they barely knew anything about him. There could be self harm, kleptomania, food insecurity and god knows what else waiting for its chance to pop up in the boy's behavior. 

That didn't really stop the sinking feeling he got from looking at the email though. The only solace he had was that as pro heroes with added teaching qualifications he and Hizashi were allowed to be the ones to talk to the parent about terminating their parental rights to avoid a child neglect and abandonment (plus probably a drug related) court case. 

Plus he got the chance to chew out a shitty parent. That always felt good. 

---- ----- ----- ----- ----- ------ ------ ------ ------- 

Miki threw himself into the corner of the bed the moment he heard the door open a crack. "Relax, its just me." The purple haired teen grumbled, mildly insulted his mere presence had warranted such a reaction. 

"I wanted to apologize." He said. Miki would have expected him to be more bashful about it. He himself was never quick to apologize, even before he had become homeless and he had never needed to say sorry after. But Hitoshi, as he had learned his name was, wasn't looking at the floor or fiddling with his fingers. He had one hand on the door and half his body visible but was looking Miki in the eyes. He conveyed nothing but sincerity. 

"I didn't exactly have the best first encounter with my parents either." He said, stepping further into the room. Miki involuntarily relaxed, his curiosity getting the better of him. "It was the first week of school. I'm sure they told you already but they're both teachers for the hero course. I'm in general studies, so we didn't really know each other. I just knew them as teachers I didn't have." He seemed to hesitate for the second time that day, but persevered in telling his story. "My dad moved out when I was in my first year of middle school. He moved out and left me in the apartment, none to wiser to his scheme to get rid of me. I worked like-three part time jobs illegally to pay for the apartment. Then I collapsed at school one day. I went to the back of the school, cause U.A's got a nice forest-y area, and sat under a tree to eat my lunch and just passed out.". 

Miki listened, at the figurative edge of his seat. He never would have expected someone so happy to have such a similar story to his. It gave him a strange sort of hope-a hope that someday he could heal-but he didn't want to think about it. "I was out for hours." Hitoshi explained "But everyone avoided me or thought I was sleeping, so when dad found me on his free period and realized I was unconcious he rushed me to the hospital. I was put in their custody immediately and I've been...I've been happy ever since.". 

The pink haired teen bit the inside of his cheek. He couldn't be like Hitoshi, upfront about his wrongdoings, mature enough to move on and secure enough to call Shota and Hizashi his family. Miki barely knew these people, yet, after seeing how well they treated them despite his quirk, he knew he owed it all to the fact Hitoshi was already there. He had already proved to them that people with quirks like theirs weren't dangerous or villainous, even if Miki sort of was. 

"I'm sorry for shouting back." He said, avoiding the older teen's eyes. "Thank you-all of you-for helping me avoid foster care and the police.". 

Hitoshi smiled. Maybe Miki could be his younger brother. He'd just have to give it some time 

--------------------------------------------------

I feel like I just dropped a plot point and then went 'okay but sibling bonding time'.