30: Don't Tell Dad

'Hey' 

Miki was startled by the sudden vibration of his phone and was even more surprised to see it was Midoriya who had texted him. 

'Hey. What's up?' He texted back, waiting excitedly for an answer. Usually they just talked in person when he got to U.A after school, so being texted at lunch time was a little unusual. 

It seemed to take Midoriya quite some time to type his question out. 

'Do you know anything about the Shie Hassaikai?' 

Miki felt his blood run cold. What the fuck had Midoriya gotten himself into? How dumb was he? The fact Midoriya was probably totally unaware of what he was doing only confirmed Miki's idea that hero students have negative street smarts. 

'Lets talk in person later' He texted back, slipping his phone back into his pocket. 

"What was all that about?" Emiko asked, taking another bite of noodles. Miki shrugged. "Just texting a friend. I'm going to U.A after school to talk to him about something before I head home." He explained. 

"Oh that's right, you want to go to U.A for high school." Emiko said casually. Miki chocked on his drink. He felt heat creep up on his cheeks, no doubt turning them as pink as his hair.

"W-where did you get that idea?" He asked, failing miserably at sounding casual. 

"What, you said everyone you know goes there. Your dads teach there, plus you're going to be living there anyways. Don't you want to get into the hero program with your friends?" The girl asked, as if it was obvious. 

"My quirk isn't exactly hero material." Miki said honestly. Hitoshi basically had the same quirk as him, and if he couldn't pass the exam there was no way Miki could. 

"Maybe they'll change the exam." Emiko said with a sly smile. Miki shook his head in disbelief at her attitude. 

------- -------- ------- ------- ------- -------- ------- ------- ------ 

Midoriya couldn't seem to bring his eyes away from his phone. Had he asked the wrong question? Why didn't Miki want to text him the answer? What about it couldn't be said over text? 

It worried him. Miki worried him in general, but you could hardly blame Izuku for that. Its not every day you meet a kid younger than you that's gone through so much more than you have. Even most of the stuff he's only experienced in high school Miki's been there for. 

But after encountering Eri and Overhaul yesterday Midoriya was worried about how deep their criminal underground went. Perhaps he wasn't being cautious enough, just asking Miki whatever question came to mind. He didn't know if there was any trauma relating to the yakuza. 

So here he was, waiting by the front doors of U.A as everyone else headed for the dorms, waiting for Miki to get there. He sighed for what felt like the millionth time that day. 

And then like he had been called, the familiar pink haired kid skipped his way up the steps. Seeing Miki in a uniform instead of the comfortable oversized clothes he used to wear was still jarring, but it was a welcome sight nonetheless. 

"Lets get inside and find somewhere private to talk." Miki said quietly. He sounded nervous, like he had already said too much so Midoriya just nodded and decided to lead Miki to the 1-A alliance so they could talk in his room. Anywhere else someone else could just walk into. 

"Have you ever been to the dorms before?" Midoriya asked to avoid any more awkward silence. Miki hesitated.

"Sort of. I've been to Hitoshi's before, and obviously I've been to the teacher's dorm, but I've never been to the 1-A Alliance" He said. Midoriya nodded.