31: Focus? What's That?

Somehow Miki couldn't stop thinking about what Midoriya had said that day. The Shie Hassaikai had a little girl. That just didn't seem right. 

He remembered seeing gangs on the street when he was a kid. His grandma used to pull his bucket hat down and hold him close to her when they passed. She was always terrified that they would see him as a good target for ransom or something like that. Its not like kids going missing in that neighborhood was an unusual occurrence. 

But the spend your life, however short, exposed to those types of people, Miki just couldn't get the thought out of his head. What were they doing to her? He had to help her. He promised he wouldn't do anything like saving Bakugou ever again though. But this was different. It was a kid and he couldn't just-

"Wanna go get snacks?" 

Miki was broken out of his thoughts at the sudden voice. Hitoshi was poking his head in the younger teen's room, phone and wallet already in his hand. Miki considered it for a second then nodded. It was Friday, he should try to relax, not stress himself out more. 

The air was brisk and wet. Like it was about to pour rain. They didn't bring umbrellas or rain coats though, so the two just hoped the weather would have mercy on them. 

Getting inside the convenience store was a relief. The air washed over their faces and red cheeks, warming them up instantly. 

"I'm getting some gummies." Hitoshi said with a smile, "Pick what you want and then something for Himiko too.". Miki nodded silently and made his way over to another isle. In the end, he picked out a chocolate bar for himself and some spicy chips for Himiko. She enjoyed the pain wayyyyy too much. His pops was like that too, he didn't see the appeal of food that made you feel like you were on fire. 

They started walking back after paying in the same awkward silence that made the moments pass faster, like they were more of a flashback then the present. 

"Do you want to tell me what's on your mind?" Hitoshi asked, finally too impatient to ask. Miki bit the inside of his cheek. Hitoshi didn't know anything about the yakuza or the girl, and Midoriya said he couldn't tell anyone. So he just shook his head and kept his eyes on the sidewalk. 

Small droplets landed on the pavement in front of them. 3, then 15, then probably about 30 droplets hit Miki's body before the sky opened up and the rain began to pour. Hitoshi sped up a lot, not willing to run in his slides but not wanting to get soaked. Miki didn't speed up, just walking at the same slow, trudging pace as before. 

Thoughts of the little girl consumed his thoughts, eating him alive as he looked down at the snacks in the bag he was carrying. 

--------- -------- -------- ------ ------ ---------- ----------- --------

Shota looked at his kids with a worried expression. Himiko and Hitoshi seemed perfectly fine, watching and commenting on the movie they had chosen to watch. But Miki was still acting weird. 

He had come home from school a few days ago looking nothing short of shell shocked. Miki had yet to tell anyone what was wrong. 

The poor father was trying desperately to figure out what the problem was. Uraraka was still suspended so that couldn't be it. Did he have a bad experience at school? Did the cats reject him? Was someone at U.A mean to him? 

With that the man's brain went into overdrive. What if someone had assaulted him? What if Miki had done something with his quirk and was ashamed to tell them? What if he had quirk exhaustion and was hiding it?

 What if it was about something else? Someone he liked? Shota couldn't imagine Miki being romantic, but it could happen. Was it a boy or a girl or neither or both? What did it matter, Miki was too young for that! No 14 year old should be worried about these things! 

A hand rested on his shoulder. Shota looked up, a little startled and saw his husband standing next to him with a fond expression on his face. 

"You're so overprotective." He said with a smile. Shota scowled. "I didn't even say anything." He protested. Hizashi just chuckled and shook his head playfully. 

"You don't need to. If its something truly serious I'm sure he'll come to us." Hizashi assured his husband. Shota nodded slowly looking back at the teenagers. 

Miki would come to him if something bad happened. Probably. 

--------- -------- -------- ------ ------ ---------- ----------- --------

That Monday when Miki didn't get up on time for school, Hizashi was suspicious. Well, suspicious made it sound like he thought Miki had done something wrong. Worried. That was a more accurate word for it. 

He knocked on the teen's door gently and waited. When he didn't get a response he took a deep breath and opened the door. It was unlocked. That was already strange. 

"Minnie?" He asked softly. Himiko had already left the room. That explained why it was unlocked. The boy didn't answer, just pulled the covers down enough to look at his pops. Hizashi's heart nearly broke at the sight. 

His eyes were red rimmed and he had dark circles around them. The pro hero would be surprised if he got any sleep at all. 

"What's wrong kiddo?" He asked, sitting down on Miki's bed and brushing his overgrown pink bangs aside. Miki just took a deep breath. 

 "I don't-can't. I can't talk about it." He said, his voice devastatingly soft. Hizashi nodded, his eyebrows creased. 

"Is there anything I can do that'll help you think this through? Get your mind off it, or through it if that's what you need?" He asked. Oh if only he could buy his children happiness, they had already been through enough pain. 

Miki just shrugged. So Hizashi continued to play with his hair. He had an idea. But it had the potential to both give Miki mental clarity or ruin all the stability they had given him. Still, he thought Miki deserved the option. 

"When I called Hana about Himiko she said she had seen something pop up in your file." Hizashi began softly, "We know where your grandmother was buried. She had funeral plans and a will that were all handled properly by the government in her family's absence." Hizashi explained. 

Miki's expression was unreadable. "Would you like to visit it?" The pro hero finished, looking to his son for an answer. 

Nobody moved for what felt like hours but was really only minutes until Miki nodded. 

-------------------------------------------------------

Oof. Not a fun chapter, I'm not going to lie, but it does reflect my current mood. 

I failed a test for the first time in my life today. And in one of the years that matters the most too. Plus it was a chemistry test so I already know I'm not great at it and because of that I studied days in advance. Literally days and I didn't even pass. I'm so scared to tell my parents and I still haven't gotten to ask about a retest. 

Honestly I feel like the worlds biggest failure and its just so very depressing. 

But as I promised Eri will enter the series soon so sit tight! 

Also the new series' should be published soon, so that's something to look forward to as well!