18: Never Alone

Shota had been called by Grand Torino, at the request of Midoriya, to tell him Miki was there with them and in an ambulance that was parked in place at the scene. The retired hero told him how Midoriya had found Miki on his way to fight the hero killer with Iida and Todoroki. Apparently, Miki had gotten involved, had his ribs broken (Midoriya wasn't clear why or how) and had the hero killer stab him through the left foot, which was also broken.

Still, Shota wasn't really thinking about the injuries now. Recovery Girl could help with that. What he was thinking about was how relived he was that Miki was alive. That he had found someone he recognized and most of all, that he could come back home.

But despite Midoriya saying Miki had passed out from the pain of having his foot stabbed, when the pro hero arrived on the scene he was very much awake.

The police were collecting evidence and photos from the scene and had apparently long since finished up interviewing the students, as they were seated in the back of an ambulance, being bandages up by paramedics. But that wasn't what tipped him off to Miki being awake. He was tipped off by the screams.

His foster son was on the stretched on an ambulance a few meters away, his hands gripping his pink hair as he pulled at his head, writhing in agony. He was screaming and groaning, it was a state Shota never imagined to see him in.

Something about his behavior was odd though, less collected and thought out than usual. When Shota slowed down his running, finally close enough to see detail, he noticed the pink hearts in Miki's eyes. He was still using his quirk, so the symptoms were likely quirk exhaustion on a large scale.

"Please calm down." One of the paramedics pleaded, his voice calm and even. He looked worried and was desperately trying to pry Miki's hands away from his head.

"No-hurt. D-don't wanna feel him no no nonono!" Miki cried, squirming around in the other paramedic's grip. Shota couldn't for the life of him figure out what Miki was talking about, but he didn't care and just approached.

"I'm his guardian." Shota said, pushing the paramedics aside. He settled himself next to the stretcher. It was a bit concerning that Miki didn't seem to be reacting to his presence but Shota could work with that.

"Miki, I'm going to touch you." He said. Miki didn't respond, just kept crying and screaming. Shota decided to go for it and pulled the boy into his arms, sitting down the stretcher himself. He cradled Miki close to his chest as he sobbed. 

"Don't want him! GET OUT GET OUT!" He screamed. Shota still couldn't understand, so he just pulled Miki's hands away from his body so he couldn't hurt himself anymore. 

"Its because he used his quirk to save himself." Iida said, looking dejected. Shota's head whipped around. "If we were stronger heroes he wouldn't have even gotten close to Miki." Midoriya said, his eyes downcast. 

Then it hit Shota. Miki could still 'feel' people after using his quirk. And he had used his quirk on the hero killer. 

Whatever was going on in Stains head must be horrific if Miki's reaction was anything to go off, so without a second thought he erased Miki's quirk. He didn't blink till the tiny pink heart had disappeared. 

Miki's screaming quieted as it dissolved into violent sobs and gasps for air. Shota let go of Miki's arms and tucked the boy's body back towards him, cautious of all his physical injuries. 

"Shhh." He soothed, trying not to panic. The experience was horrifying, but at least it was getting better. With Miki less frantic the ambulance crew was able to direct Shota into the vehicle so they could get away from the crime scene. 

Shota placed a quick kiss on Miki's forehead and placed him gently on the stretcher so they could stop the bleeding in his foot as they rode to the hospital. 

------- ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------- ------- ------- 

28 hours. Miki had been asleep for 28 hours when he finally woke up. 

It was by no means a coma or anything like that. It was just Recovery Girl's quick taking a lot out of his already depleted energy reserves. Not that Shota was any less worried. 

His sleep was fitful. The boy tossed, turned, whimpered and cried the whole time, and all his family could do was hold his hand and talk to him. It was mostly nonsense, with a few current events tossed in. He mentioned that the cats missed him, that Hitoshi was improving at record speed, that Hizashi had finally baked a soufflé properly. 

But none of that helped. 

What did help was Hizashi and Hitoshi making a massive scene when they finally were able to get to the hospital after informing the police of Miki's return and to stop searching for him. They could have woken up the dead with how loud they were shouting. 

"Toshi-" Miki croaked, his voice hoarse from sleep and stress. Hitoshi's head whipped around to stare at his foster brother then, he rushed over to hug him. 

"Why did you leave?" He asked. Hitoshi was definitely not tearing up. Not at all. "Never pull that shit again, okay? I was so scared.". 

Miki leaned into the hug, using all his strength to pull Hitoshi's warm body closer. "I thought I was a burden. I thought you only kept me with you because you got paid to do it." His throat felt impossibly tight as he tried not the cry, "A-and I thought you would be better off without me.". 

 "Oh, Miki." Hizashi said, making his way to the bed. "You've never been a burden on us. We love you so much.". The pro hero pulled both his kids into a small group hug then gestured for Shota to join. 

"You're as a much my son as Hitoshi is, Miki." Shota said honestly. Hizashi nodded enthusiastically. "We've already started his adoption papers, and we'll start yours the minute we can, okay? No more thinking you're the outside here, problem child.". Miki laughed wetly at that and dried his eyes. 

He smiled up at his parents and the two tried not to audibly gasp. Like a curse had been lifted the light returned to Miki's eyes. The irises that previously stayed matte sparkled in the fluorescent lighting of the hospital room. 

They all sat there in silence for several minutes, just relishing the warmth and the feeling of love that enveloped the room. Then, Hizashi spoke. 

"Who told my baby he was useless anyways? I can't imagine you came up with that yourself." Hizashi asked, pushing Miki's bangs out of his eyes. 

"No it was all m-". Silence. It looked like realization had just hit the 14 year old like a truck. 

"Miki?" Shota asked, concerned. "Who told you that you were useless?". 

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm back at it again! 

For everyone who expressed their concerns for my mental health, thank you. I think that often times I don't look at my own words and take them seriously like I would for someone else. I'm going to try very hard to manage my stress levels this year. 

On a more positive note, I've got more projects in the works! I'll be posting a poll or something for some new fics (not including the ohshc one I'm working on, that one isn't a vote in story). 

Name a ship for bnha/idea you'd like to see in another one of my books! I'm always open to suggestion.