35: Just You Wait

Sometime, when it was late at night and no one else was awake, Miki liked to think. 

Yes, for all the jokes about him being an angsty teen who was more likely to have an ornery gerbil in his head than a brain, he was capable of thought.

He didn't like the type of thinking he did late at night though. These thoughts seemed to seep into his head, messing with his feeling and keeping him awake. 

Tonight, he wondered why he was happy. 

He had failed. This is exactly what his grandma didn't want. He had to go to school again, although people didn't seem as cruel about his quirk as they were before. He had broken so many bones in the past months, and experienced what it was like having a mass murderer in your head. 

He had to watch Hitoshi struggle with lack of sleep and nightmares from his time before meeting their parents. He had to watch Toga meet with Nezu over and over again, never revealing what they truly spoke about. He watched Eri struggle to smile after being tortured for so long. 

So how could he be happy? 

His grandma had told him once that happiness was more of an underlying feeling than a focal point. That's why being sad stands out to people. 'Happiness' She had said, 'Is found in small moments. In a butterfly sitting on your kitchen window and in getting a good test score. And these small moments are different for everyone'. 

Her voice was so clear in Miki's head that his chest ached. Regardless of the pain, he allowed to memory to continue to flow. 

"For me," His grandma said, putting her hand against a picture of the two of them together, "I felt happy when you told me how your day went, when someone gave us flowers at work a week ago. When you asked me for some extra change to buy seed to feed the birds. That makes me happy.". Miki smiled sheepishly at that. "What about you, Miki? What makes you happy?". 

Miki's brow furrowed. He had answered her, but he couldn't remember what the answer was. At times like this he was angry with himself for overusing his quirk for so long. His mind had become frazzled during that time, less clear. Now some of his beloved memories seemed just beyond his reach. 

Frustrated, he fell back into a nightmare filled, restless sleep.

---------- ---------- --------- ------- --------- -------- -------- -------- 

"You look like shit." Hitoshi said bluntly, staring at Miki across the breakfast table. "Toshi!" Hizashi said, scandalized, "You can't just say things like that!".

"Its true!" The older teen argued, "His eye bags are worse than mine.". Miki just sighed, laying his head down on the table. He had a headache, which wasn't crazy unusual, but it was worse than the normal ones. He chocked it up to his night being awful, but he didn't really feel like telling anyone about that. Not even Toga, who was technically in the room at the time. 

"Bluntness aside, are you alright Miki?" Shota asked, genuine concern in his voice. Miki nodded weakly, then noticed his dad's dissatisfied expression. So he sat up properly and gave a verbal answer saying he had just had some trouble sleeping and was overtired. 

Shota could tell something was off about Miki that morning. Maybe it was just nerves since his school was holding their festival the next day, but regardless it seemed to wearing Miki down quite a bit. He looked exhausted and was spacing out more than usual. And he'd only been awake for an hour, so there weren't even that many opportunities to zone out. 

Still, if Miki said he was just a little tired and wanted to go to school, he would respect that. Kids needed choice...well that and to make their own bad decisions. So when he and Hizashi left the apartment to walk to the main building he made sure not to silence his phone. 

---------- ---------- --------- ------- --------- -------- -------- -------- 

The headache didn't get any better and having to set up for the cultural festival was not helping. 

"Can't I just like-wear a hoodie?" Miki groaned. Emiko shook her head, scandalized at the thought. 

"We're all dressing formally for the show, its a dress code! You have to dress up!" She said, tossing two more jacket options at him. "Now, red, blue, purple or pink?". 

"Why are none of them black?" Miki groaned. They were currently standing backstage while the act before Miki, a knife throwing act with fake knives that were just illusions created by another on of their classmates. So not really a knife throwing act at all if you think about it. 

"Next!". Miki flinched and winced at the sound. He decided his button up uniform shirt was fine for the practice and started making his way up to the stage. 

Every step seemed to reverberate inside his head like a drum beat. Miki felt sick. Like he was going to vomit. He squinted at the stage lights. They were too harsh for his eyes and his vision started getting spotty. 

He took one step up to the stage, completely unaware of the other students following behind him, ready to play the audience members that would be hypnotized. 

The moment his foot hit the stage Miki's stomach did backflips. He fell to his knees at the edge of the stage, bile rising in his throat. He gagged several times, heaving his breakfast onto the edge of the stage. 

Then, he passed out. 

--------- ---------- --------- ------- --------- -------- -------- --------

 "Is this Mr. Aizawa?". Shota got nervous at just the mention of his last name. It meant someone was calling him on non-hero business. Quickly he excused himself from the classroom, leaving 1-A very confused. 

"Yes. Can I ask what you're calling about?" He said, his voice as monotone as usual. "Ah, this is the school nurse from Itachi Middle School. Your son Miki threw up in class today while they were rehearsing. He passed out for a few minutes as well and we're worried." The nurse explained. 

"I'll come pick him up right away." Shota said, not even waiting for the nurse to ask him to come. He hung up immediately and rushed back into the classroom. "Everyone to 1-B's classroom, right now." He ordered. The class scrambled out of their seats, they grabbed bags and binders alike. 

Within 10 minutes the class was settled down somewhere else and he was in the car, ready to drive to the school. He took a deep breath before he put the keys in the ignition. He was so worried. Why hadn't they taken Miki to the hospital? What was going on? 

Eventually, he calmed down enough to start driving. He eventually realized that it was probably quirk exhaustion. But what caused that exhaustion? 

'Well' He thought 'It doesn't really matter how it happened'. Now it only really mattered now was that someone was there to take care of Miki until whatever pain he was in subsided. 

He really hoped that it was different from the last time he suffered from quirk exhaustion. Mostly because Shota didn't want to get bitten this time. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weird thing to mention but I was looking at Home and Try-Hard next to each other on my profile page and I was like 'huh, Jun looks a lot older than Miki' and then I realized Jun is older than Miki they're a whole year apart and I keep forgetting that. 

Don't mind me or my dumbness tho, just enjoy the chapter😅

Stay Tuned!