14: Good Things Don't Have To End, But Usually Do

The Aizawa-Yamada Residence - 1:47 am 

When Shota woke up there was a heavy weight on his chest. Like something was pushing down on it. 

But there actually was something crushing him, and that something was Nemo. The hyper orange cat was standing on Shota's chest, meowing with insistence at him. Instantly Shota relaxed. It was just the cats being brats, nothing was actually wrong. 

"What do you want?" He asked, his voice gravelly from just waking up, "Is it water again? Did Rei drink it all?". Nemo just kept meowing, so Shota got up to check the water dish. Rei was a water hog. And a toy hog. And an attention hog. Honestly that cat was a problem all around, but the heart wants what the heart wants and he was theirs after all. 

The pro hero walked through the dark apartment, not bothering to turn on any lights. He had lived here for 4 years after all, he knew where shit was. As he changed course from the hallway to the kitchen, Nemo stopped walking with him. She stayed in the hall, meowing at the top of her lungs. Shota seriously thought she was going to wake up the boys if she kept being that loud. 

Groaning he looked back at the hallway, trying to figure out what the problem was. No one was in the bathroom. The door was open and the tiny nightlight illuminated the empty room. Both his door and Hitoshi's were closed and so was-

It became glaringly obvious after seeing that what the problem Nemo was trying to tell him about was. Miki slept with his door shut and locked. He had told them before that not having a secure sleeping space was an anxiety he had experience since a young age when someone broke into his grandma's house. 

So Miki was either awake or not there. Without any thought Shota walked quickly into the youngest's room and turned the light on. 

His worries were confirmed. The bed was messy, lived in, but there was a pile of pajamas on the floor and no Miki. Like he had just vanished. 

Shota wasted no time rushing back into the hallway, turning on every light he could think of. Even though Miki had never really been in there before, he checked the home office. Then the closet with their safe in it. Nothing. Finally he checked Hitoshi's room, knowing full well if he so much as opened the door he would wake the boy up. No Miki. 

He went back to checking the rest of the apartment, rooting through large enough cabinets and their two built in closets. When he turned back around Hizashi and Hitoshi were standing there, shielding their eyes from the artificial lights with confused and grumpy expressions on their faces.

Shota had to tell them what was going on but the words seemed stuck in his throat. Like if he said them his worst fears would be confirmed. 

"What's going on Sho?" Hizashi asked, his voice soft and concerned. Shota's heart dropped further into his chest and worry surrounded him as the seriousness of their current situation set in. 

"Miki's gone." 

------- ------- ------ ------- ------ ------ ------- ------ 

The Aizawa-Yamada Residence - Several Hours Prior

'They're not my family. I'm not theirs to be ashamed of'

Miki's own words and Uraraka's floated around his head in an insomnia induced mental breakdown. He really just said what he was thinking, huh? 

His heart ached. A yearning sort of ache that settled itself deep into his chest and spread to the surface layer, burning just below his skin, willing him to walk to his foster parent's bedroom for comfort. 

But he couldn't. He was their responsibility true, but that wasn't in the job description and yes, he had decided if they got paid to take care of him it was a job. He didn't want to think of them as his caretakers. He wanted to go back to them being Shota and Hizashi. To go back to that ambiguous place where they showed him affection and he was oblivious to all else and could drown in their warmth and smiles. When their hands reminded him of his grandmother's, scalding against his frigid marble skin. 

Now there was no return. Everything felt so wrong. So disassociated. And this had all come to a head a dinner that night when Hitoshi suggested they find a nickname for him. He was kind of excited, no one had given him a nickname before and 'Miki' didn't really lend itself to one and they already had Zashi, Sho and Toshi for each other. 

Then the crushing self hate had come out of nowhere. Well, not nowhere. It had come from Uraraka's mouth, but it was a constant reminder that although they had accepted him he didn't belong there. He was just a charity case. Something so pitiful people just couldn't leave it alone. 

It had happened with his grandma, who was forced to take him in when no one else would, it happened while he was homeless with small gifts of food and clothes and now it was happening all over again. He didn't deserve their kindness. 

Tears stung in Miki's eyes as his breathing became ragged. He was having a panic attack, he wasn't thinking rationally, but he still knew what he should do. 

Leave. Just up and go so they can adopt Hitoshi and he can stop being a burden on them. They can go back to full time teaching and hero work no problem with him gone. 

Trying desperately to catch his breath, Miki changed into some warmer clothes. He hesitated for a second when it came to the phone they had given him. Miki contemplated selling it so he could buy a ticket to somewhere else, but he knew there was a tracking app on it. It was just for safety reason, but he wasn't going to be dumb enough to bring it with him. Miki buried the device in the desk drawer past all the gifts he had been given. 

He decided to use the pocket money had been given to get by until he could find some more. He wasn't going to steal again. Never again. But he could make it without his quirk. 

Making sure to disarm the apartment's security system before he opened the door, Miki left. The moment he closed that door he ran, the burning ache buzzing under his skin propelling him forwards. 

The cold air of the streets at night was familiar and almost comforting but Miki would be lying to himself if he said the city's cold embrace was anything like the apartment's warmth. 

------------------------------------------------

Welcome to Miki's irrationally (trademark pending) 

Seriously though, the mental gymnastics this kid is doing to convince himself to leave is so hard to write, but its what his character would do so (as a puppet to my own imagination) I must write. 

I have so many good ideas for where this story is going so please stay tuned for the hero killer arc! 

Btw was the subtle change in formatting (adding the timestamp thingies and including flashbacks) good or bad? Its not going to continue or anything but I'd feel bad if you guys thought it was annoying.