38: Band-Aids

The police were called. Shota didn't even have to call them, one of Miki's classmates had, too worried about what was going on with the middle schooler to do anything else. 

When they showed up Hizashi had to explain that the family had walked off and were somewhere in the area. He ended up leaving Shota to console Miki and headed off with the police to track them down. 

Speaking of the boy, he wasn't in great shape. He just kept gasping, still coming down from the panic attack. "Its going to be okay Minnie." Shota said, hand firmly on the boy's shoulder. 

"Its not okay." He sobbed, furiously wiping his eyes with his hands. "She doesn't even want me. Why can't they leave me alone?!". Shota tried to shush the boy before he got too worked up and couldn't breath again.

"I don't know." He answered honestly. "I have no idea why they're so obsessed with the idea of you living with them or being part of their family. Especially considering you already have one.". Miki laughed wetly, nodding. 

"Fuck them." The 14 year old said. The statement had an air of finality to it. Shota smiled and nodded. 

"Fuck them." He parroted. 

------- ------- -------- -------- ------- ------- ------- ------- 

They managed to make it to the U.A campus just in time to watch 1-A's performance, arriving at the same time as Mirio and Eri. The third year had picked her up instead of Shota because of the emergency at Miki's school. 

The little girl's red eyes met Miki's black ones. Their eyes were both puffy and red rimmed from crying and Miki smiled at Eri's confused expression. "Its been a crazy morning, hasn't it?" He asked, already knowing the answer. Eri nodded with a small smile. 

Miki took Eri's hand and the two went to find some leftover seats to watch the performance. The whole place was packed with students waiting to see what the so-called prodigy class could come up with. 

The lights dimmed slowly, eventually plunging the gym into darkness. Eri's hand clenched around Miki's and he squeezed her hand back. A small reassurance that it would be okay. 

Toga and Hitoshi were sitting beside them with Shota and Hizashi in the row behind. There was silence, then all of a sudden the curtains rose, flooding the gym with warm stage light. 

"LETS GO!" Jiro shouted and Bakugou obliged with several explosions and drum beats. 

The music was loud, the lights were bright and too colourful all in all it should have been overwhelming. But it wasn't. Somehow the light atmosphere made the light headache in the back of Miki's head disappear. 

A smile wormed its way onto his face. Sure, the song was cliché, but they did it well. For once it seemed like no one at U.A was taking themselves seriously, and it felt great. 

Shota and Hizashi were smiling too, equally proud of their students and their own kids. They were worried about Miki getting overwhelmed, but he seemed to be as happy as he was that morning. It was like the incident at his school had never happened. 

Suddenly all the dancers reappeared, dancing of rafters made of ice above them. Sparkles rained down on the crowd as they cheered. The rest of the group watched in awe as a massive smile appeared on Eri's face. It was almost like magic. 

After a few more seconds Shota tore his eyes away from Eri and looked over at Miki. It was an equally heart warming sight. It happened slowly, so painfully slowly but Shota watched with wide eyes as tiny pin pricks of light appeared in Miki's eyes until the black orbs reflected galaxies of colour. 

Shota smiled proudly and poked Hizashi to get him to look too. He was pretty sure he heard his husband gasp. 

He looked so happy. 

------- ------- -------- -------- ------- ------- ------- ------- 

After that the group, including Eri, headed over to the haunted house Hitoshi's class was putting on. They got snacks along the way since it wasn't open for another half hour. 

When they finally did get to go in, they were cautious. No one knew how Eri's trauma would work with a haunted house, but she had been adamant about seeing Hitoshi's class's projects that they had all relented. 

Miki was having fun, he wasn't screaming or anything like his pops was, but he did get a few good flinches out of it. He'd had enough real scares today for the ghosts and ghouls to be passive. 

Eri was having the time of her life. She was holding Himiko and Shota's hands as they walked through the haunted house, giggling the whole time. Once she even said 'boo' back to the ghost. It was adorably and everyone just melted into the floor. 

"Toshi!" She said, running up to the teen as he lowered himself from the ceiling. He was surprised at the reaction but decided to roll with it, simply waving and smiling at the girl. 

When they had finally gone through the whole haunted house several students came up to give Eri a piece of candy as a 'prize for making it through'. Shota supposed they did that with all little kids, but most probably needed a pick me up after that. Not Eri apparently. 

So they resumed their quest for the illusive candy apple that Eri wanted so much, meeting up with Mirio again as they did so. 

Shota watched with a smile as his kids, albeit awkwardly, tried to engage Eri in all the other activities. They made great older siblings, even Toga, who could be a bit morbid and less than child friendly on occasion. 

He had been home less often to take care of the girl at the hospital. Someone had to and he was more than willing to be the substitute parent figure to the girl. He even offered her a better sense of security since he could erase her quirk if she felt she was losing control. 

There was only one problem there. He was getting attached. Hitoshi had asked a question once, something along the lines of 'will we ever be able to look a kid in trouble and not adopt them?'. Well the answer was no as Shota was just waiting until Eri was discharged from the hospital. 

Like some great puppet master had pulled a string, Shota's phone started ringing at that exact moment. Hana's caller I.D made him wince subconsciously. She had been the barer of too much bad news. 

Well, she was probably just calling to get a full statement about that morning's incident, so Shota answered. 

"Before you say anything, I already know what happened this morning, and I have some great news!" 

Shota was confused. How could what happened this morning bring good news? Had Miki's bio mom been arrested. He asked as such. 

"She was taken into custody yes. Her husband wasn't and he took the kids home. But that's not the good news!" Hana said, the smile audible in her voice. "Miki's been cleared for adoption! His birth parent has been finally deemed unviable so the government will let him be adopted!".  

Shota dropped the phone. 

-------------------------------------------------------

See, I told you it got happier. 

So Miki's finally going to be adopted and Eri probably not long after ngl 😅. I just want them to be one big Aizawa-Yamada family right freaking now. 

If you don't know, I recently posted my first one shot! I'm excited to write more and feel free to request one you want written! You can use any bnha characters, any of my oc (or a combination of them). You can even ask me to write about one of your oc's if you give me enough information! 

So feel free to request them on the conversation post or right here in the comment section!