2:20- Be Happy

1899 words

I stepped out of the car, momentarily blinded by the glare

I stepped out of the car, momentarily blinded by the glare. I closed the door behind me, it was then that the boy looked at me. His eyes were a little wide, as if he were confused. Blonde streamed down his temples to his cheekbones, black puffed out the undercut. I took in his clothes, he wore a loose short sleeved shirt and grey sweatpants.

He caught onto my stare, which made him look even more perplexed. I walked towards him slowly, my shoes scuffed against the green grass. I stopped at the white fence, reached up to my hoodie and slid it off. His arms drooped, a trash bag hung from his grasp. Then I took off my beanie, my bright crimson hair fell down, curling and twisting past my shoulders. It had grown a lot, since I met Seonghwa.

"You're Wooyoung, aren't you?" He gasped immediately at my words, dropping the bag. I heard glass clank.

He ran into the house, leaving the door open. I could hear him yell, a high pitched scream. Then came more, two to be exact. I looked back at Seonghwa who leaned against the white car and peered at me. He sent me a smile, I didn't know if I had it in me to return it.

"Is that really you!?" I whipped around, I was immediately met with a man, then a woman. Even from a distance, as they stood on their porch, I could see myself in their eyes. The man who screamed ran towards me, his hands fumbled with the gate lock before flinging it open. I could see him more clearly, now. "You're y/n?" His hands came to his face, tears fell.

"Look at her, she's so big." I looked to the right to see a woman, tears already lined her face. I had her eyes, the color and the shape. Her nose too. But her nose was small and smooth, I had a slight bump in the middle. That was him, the man next to her. These two people that were breaking apart in front of me, could have been my parents. They are, but I could have known them. I felt jittery, numb enough not to cry but overwhelmed enough to shake uncontrollably.

The woman stepped forward, grabbing me and pulling me into a hug. She smelled refreshing, sweet like fruit. She cried into my shoulder, her hands grasped onto my hoodie. The man watched, his eyes poured.

"It's okay, I'm here now." I tried comforting her, she seemed to melt into me further when I said that. "So, you're my mom?" She nodded and sniffled.

"I'm sorry I got so emotional, I just-" she looked up at me, she gasped airily as she stared. "Look at her! She's beautiful Angel, just look at her cheeks, and her eyebrows. She looks like you. I'm so glad her hair is curly, I've always loved curly hair."

My mother backed away from me, her hand came to my dad's and pulled him in. He hesitated, but he came closer. His hand came up to my face, I leaned into his touch.

Even though I didn't know them, they knew me. It must've been so hard for them to contain their affection, and their words and emotions. I wanted to make them comfortable, since they were more conflicted than me at the time. So I did so, I leaned into their touch, smiling as they spoke. Though I felt confused, my stomach churned and my lips quivered. I stood there for a while, my ears clear but my mind hazy.