49

"Do you want to do anything?"

I looked up at Sterling, he seemed at ease, completely back to normal, standing over me with his hands on his hips. He was staring out the window, perhaps at our parent's cars that were driving away.

"Do something?" I asked, still not a hundred per cent like he was after that conversation, or this morning. I had never seen my dad so annoyed before, or bothered, he looked bothered. I thought he liked Sterling?

He all but was pushing me to get married to him, he was such a magnificent man, and now he asked me if I was settling? Wasting my youth?

Was I?

No

I shook the thought out of my head, I wasn't having second thoughts now. I thought we worked through that? We were past that stage, weren't we?

"Aedan?"

"Hmm?" I looked up, then realising that I hadn't responded to Sterling's question. What did he suggest to do? I wasn't paying attention.

"Oh actually," I said, before he could realise that I wasn't paying attention to him, "I need to get to work."

"Now? Today?"

"Yeah," I said standing up, I better get changed, "Clearly someone has been snooping around and I need to make sure that's all they got." There were so many other documents in my office, when I left my office as an open invite I wasn't accounting for staff to be misusing the space. 

Who knew fully grown adults could stoop so low?

I had a pretty strong feeling about who would snoop around in my office, sometimes you had to go with your gut instinct and other times you just needed to think about who the biggest idiot of the office would be.

"I'll come with you."

"Don't you have other things to do?" I asked Sterling, surely he has to prepare for their art exhibition. The last one for the next few months.

"Nope, might as well make it a field trip," Sterling suggested.

"Sure," I shrugged, what could possible go wrong with letting him come along?

* * * 

The office was dead quiet as we both walked in the main door. I wasn't expecting anyone here today, but there were a few part timers that came in at odd times but they sat so far away that  I probably wouldn't even cross paths with them.

I grabbed my keys from where I left it, it hadn't moved an inch and headed to my office. Even as I entered inside, the scene was left exactly like how I left it, nothing was moved, everything seemed to be in place, even the chair that was leaning against the wall rather than tucked neatly under the desk.

"Your office is surprisingly messy."

I looked over my shoulder at Sterling, confused, "What are you talking about, it's clean." 

The carpet was flawlessly clean, no loose pieces of paper on my desk, it was all bound or in a little tray to be reviewed. The files were all stacked nice and neat, what did he mean it was messy?

"I was expecting everything to be labelled and stored in colour coordinated files...but you have a few things just here and there. It's okay Aedan...it's okay to be human."

"Oh shush," I muttered as I grabbed my chair, pulling it up to my desk, trying to remember where on earth I had kept my documents. I opened the table drawers but all I could see were old documents and stationery. 

Sterling on the other hand was walking around the office, touching and picking up everything, which was really annoying me. His commentary about the boring décor wasn't helping either. Apparently my walls were too naked to look at.