52

I looked at Sterling kneeling on the ground, was he serious?

And why did he actually look nervous? Or was it cause he was too old to be kneeling on the ground and his leg was shaking from age rather than nerves.

"If you refer to me as Mrs. Sterling, doesn't that defeat the point of asking me?" I teased.

Sterling grumbled something I couldn't quite catch under his breathe, "Look...I'm asking nicely."

"As opposed?" I enquired. 

"Demanding, or not asking? Come on, I'm old. My knees are hurting."

Sterling's smile told me that he was anything but hurting but I wanted to take my sweet time, it was nice seeing him on the ground like that. 

"Hmm I need to think about it you know, it is a big decision for me."

Sterling rolled his eyes and reached for my hand.

"I haven't said yes yet." I said trying to pull my hand away but he had won the battle and grabbed it. 

"You haven't said no either." He gently separated my fingers and placed the ring on the tip of my ring finger, pausing as he looked at me. 

"Well?"

"If I must." I teased. 

"I need more than that Mrs Sterling, a yes or no would help."

"Fine."

"Fine what?"

"I'll re-marry you I guess?"

"Positive?"

"Yes."

"Ah..there we go," Sterling slipped the rest of the ring down the finger and stood up wrapping his hands around my waist, holding me tight as he peered down at me, "The yes I was waiting for."

I rolled my eyes trying to wriggle out of his comfortable grip, what if someone sees us?

"That wasn't so hard was it?"

I shrugged, "It was a little hard" I had to admit. It was hard, because I wasn't used to showing affection like he was, saying things like I love you, marry me , would make something die inside of me with embarrassment. 

I felt his lips on mine, soft as he placed a gentle kiss before pulling away slightly. 

"You need to stop overthinking things."

"Can't, i'm wired this way." A billion thoughts in an hour is how I grew up.

"And that's why you're my boss babe," he wrapped his arms around me tighter resting his head in the nape of my neck, his breathe tickling me and his stubble scratching my collarbones. My lower stomach flipped and there was a tingle in my lower body. 

"Should we get back?" I asked, as his lips teased the nape of my neck by not kissing them. I ached for them to meet. 

"No," said Sterling and then with a deep sigh, "Fine. I do need to go present an award."

But he made no move to let go of me, instead I felt his hands flat against the naked skin of my back, dipping under the low cut fabric making me shiver. His hands were warm, smooth and made lean into him more as they rested just under the fabric and to the side of my hips.

"You're going to stretch my dress out,"

"Well you can always take it off if you think it'll get ruined."

"Sterling," I nudged him, one of us had to behave in a public setting. I placed my hands on his chest, catching a glimpse of the enormously obscene but beautiful ring.

"I hope this ring was fake, and cheap." It was definitely very shiny, almost blinding under these intense art specific lights. 

"Mmm I spent it with my own money wifey, so don't worry," he placed a kiss on my cheek before untangling himself from me, his hands smoothing the fabric back against my body and taking my arm in his as he walked back around the pictures. I still hadn't finished looking at them all, and I was curious to see what else he had painted.

"About time you bought me something with your money," I teased as he steered us back towards the crowd.

Sterling expertly navigated the floor to our table, which wasn't like the rest. It was isolated onto the ends and looked like a judge table given the items on it. Only a few other tables looked like this and we were the last ones to take our seats. At least the lights weren't focused on us as we took our seats. 

Names were being called out, people constantly getting up and abound from their seats and glasses being filled by waiters. 

Food was coming and going but all I could focus on was Sterling's lazy hand that was brushing the lower back as his eyes roamed around the stage every few seconds. He had placed his arm behind me and his fingers were playing with the fabric of my dress, whether he knew it or not was another thing, but all i knew was the feeling of heat rising in my lower stomach.

A tightness in my chest growing, as the anticipation of waiting for a touch grew. I clutched my champagne glass tighter was I took another sip for it. Or perhaps I was getting tipsy, making me crave his touch even more. 

Finally a name was called and Sterling stood up, the lack of a simple hand made my entire body cold as I smiled at him, wishing him goodluck as he walked up the stage. He said very little words, and presented the award. Confident and charismatic a the crowd sucked him up. 

Sterling's eyes met mine as he walked down the stairs and he gave me a small smile, but the distance grew as people approached him, one after another talking to him, shaking his hand, some even taking a picture. Even with them talking to him he would glance up at me every few minutes, his eyes meeting mine.

After almost an hour he came back grabbing my hand and lifting me up.

"Let's go." He said, grabbing his drink and chugging the rest.

"Are you done?" I asked.

"Yep, now let's go so I can take that hideous dress of you," he whispered as he rushed through the crowd.

"What?" I asked, stepping up my pace in the heels to follow him, "I thought you liked it."

His hand found my lower back as he guided me through the crowd.

"I did, until I didn't. It'll look better on the floor anyway wifey," he tased, as his fingers pulled the fabric to let it slap back against my skin, making the heat in me pick up a notch. I was breathless by the time the car pulled up in front of us, "Or we could, you know, do it in the car," He teased.

"Sterling!" I slapped his shoulder as he laughed, rushing to the passenger side. Thank god he was sitting in the front. I hopped into the back seat and thanked the man opening it. I buckled up and did the mistake of looking in the front mirror, meeting the gaze of Sterling.

Perhaps the car was a good spot. 

Next update coming soon! Thank god for the schedule feature now!!! 

Follow me on Insta ;) @nihapupzy