12

It's definitely been too long since I had come to the pub. It was louder, darker and smellier. I wrinkled my nose as I followed Sterling closely already regretting my decision but it had to be better than being stuck at home with our parents.

How could people just come here and waste away their money? If they wanted to drink or hang out with friends they should do it at home they would save so much.

I ran straight into Sterling's back not realising he had stopped, "Sorry." I muttered raising my hand to my nose my poor nose.

But he was too busy chattering away already, I stepped out to see who it was, a few familiar faces from that night at my house. So these are his friends, no good scumbags that break things in my house.

"Aren't you going to introduce us?" one of the guys said as Sterling was about to take a seat. He looked up at me, "Oh yeah, this is Aedan."

He grabbed the menu and I looked at him. Introduction out of ten. I looked around for more chairs, the booth was all cushioned, "Move in a bit." I said to Sterling looking at the tiny place he left for me to sit. He looked up, raising his eyebrows but nevertheless moved in allowing me to sit on the edge, a safe distance from him.

I cleared my throat looking around at everyone, who were staring at me. Was there something on my face?

"Are you hungry?" Sterling held out the menu he was looking at, "Never mind you wouldn't waste your money here." He was about to take the menu back and I reached out taking it from him. I was hungry, but he was also right. And even more so when I looked at the prices.

My eyes widened, ten dollars for a bowl of chips and ketchup was a dollar extra? Are you serious? I could go to the supermarket and buy three bags of 2 kg chips for this price. My eyes raked over everything else, which was overpriced, "Are you for real?" I muttered to myself.

Maybe that should be my new business venture, open up a place that sold affordable food. And don't even get me started on the drinks menu.

"Are you going to order?" Sterling asked from beside me.

The cheapest item was two pieces of buttered garlic bread. This has to be a joke.

"Everything is over priced." I said making him roll his eyes at me. 

I scurried out and he got out walking towards the bar and I followed him as fast as my shorter feet could take me, clutching the menu in hand. The chips were the better choice to make even though they were expensive.. I just hoped they filled the bowl up and weren't stingy.

Sterling grabbed the small stand up number for our order, walking back to the table and I scurried after him to keep up.

I sat back not really following their conversation, I wasn't even sure what they were talking about my stomach was churning from hunger. And my mind was boggled with all the things i had to do. I was stressed. Why did my laptop have to go missing now of all times?

I had to give this a point for something, their food arrived quickly, even if their portion sizes weren't that big. I looked at the small bowl with a frown, that seasoning better be great. I looked up at everyone else, was I meant to share? But they already had plates of food in front of them, I shrugged, well, I did pay for it. I reached out grabbing a chip, almost wondering how they made these fries so long in length, how long was the potato?

"Are you calculating how much one fry is?"

I looked at Sterling, "No." I popped it into my mouth nearly regretting it as the hot potato came in contact with my tongue, shit that burned. Oh shit, that really burned as the potato stuck to the roof of my mouth. There goes my taste buds.

I looked up to see Sterling looking at me with a weird expression, like I just went crazy.

I cleared my throat picking up another fry, blowing on it this time as they went back to their conversation.

I looked over at the clock at the far end, gosh I just hope our parents left so I could go home and sleep. I was exhausted and I had an early start tomorrow, having to make a trip to see the renovations and how the interior of the new house was going.

Maybe I could sneak back inside.

I looked up feeling an intense gaze on me only to come myself face to face a blonde, glaring at me. Why was she staring at me like that? The way she was slicing into her chicken sent shivers through my spine. I looked away first sighing. I spotted a water dispenser on the bar counter in the distance, oh good I didn't have to pay for water.

I got up, should I tell them I was going to go get water? Seeing as they were in another conversation I walked towards it, not like they would care anyway. His friends were strange. I grabbed a glass looking at it, "Uh, Excuse me?" I called out trying to get the attention of someone behind the counter.

"Yes?" A woman asked looking very bored, I smiled, "Hey, can I get a plastic cup or something?"

She raised an eyebrow at me, and I wasn't sure why she ran her eyes over me, "We don't have plastic cups here."

I looked at the cup in my hand, was this even washed? There was a tray of glass cups placed upside down, stacked, surely that wasn't hygienic, "Oh,can you give this another wash?"

"This is already clean." she turned around walking away and I frowned. It didn't look clean, it had that misty look on it from not being washed properly, not that see through clean glass feel.

But I wanted water.

I grabbed a serviette giving it a through wipe down, still felt gross but I filled it up with the water. This place was vile. I definitely needed to consider that idea I had earlier on about starting up a proper decent clean place that served reasonable food. Maybe a partner business. I should think about it.

"Hey pretty lady."

At least the lemons and the cold water didn't make me too much about how any other people had their lips on this glass, did they even brush their teeth properly?

"Hey," The voice said closer and I jumped turning around, "Me?" I asked, was he talking to me?

The man nodded leaning against the counter, a dazed look already in his eye from drinking too much.

"Can I help you?" Did he want water? Was I blocking his way? Probably. I stepped back.

"How about you help me, what can I get you?"

I stared at him confused, "What do you mean?"

"I'm offering to buy you a drink, anything you want."

"Oh, uh, very nice of you." I cleared my throat, "But I'm fine thanks." I filled up my glass so I had some water to take back with me.

"No, really, let me buy you something, even the most expensive drink, just pick."

"No, really, I'm fine." I went to walk past him when he blocked my way and I narrowed my eyes, "Seriously mate? Move."

"Not before I buy you a drink."

Was he for real? The way he smiled, it was almost like he didn't realise how serious I was. Maybe he thought I was playing hard to get. Before I could tell him I was serious I heard a deep voice behind me, "The lady said no, so how about you fuck off before i make you?"