41

"Maybe I should have let you go to work after all."

I looked up over the screen of my laptop, turning my attention from the measurements in the email to Sterling who was currently glaring at me from the couch.

"I'm just saying, it's probably wise for you to go get it checked out by a proper doctor."

"It's been ten minutes since you woke up Aedan, give me a break."

Sterling changed channels again, now going from the news to cartoons. And it hadn't been ten minutes, it had been two hours since I decided to do what this idiotic man told me to do, work from home and I was already hating it.

I missed the comfort of my multiple screens, having to change between screens on my small laptop was driving me crazy but it did give me an opportunity to watch him. All I suggested was that he go to a proper doctor to check out that wound, which looked deep to me.

"I don't need stitches," was what he kept saying, even though he had to bandage it up three times since waking up because it started bleeding.

That meant he needed stitches.

I looked back at my computer screen instead, tuning out whatever loud cartoon he was watching. 

I took a sip of the cold coffee wrinkling my nose at the taste of cold coffee. I was just about to get another hot cup when my phone started buzzing, for the tenth time this morning.

I groaned seeing the caller ID.

"Yes Duncan?" I asked irritated to what was so hard about his job today. 

"Oh hey Aedan, how are you going?" he asked, the standard question every time someone answered the phone. Which made no sense if you were calling someone multiple times in the same morning, how many times could I say, "yeah fine thanks."?

"What is it?" I muttered standing up, the chair dragging loudly against the tiles as I walked towards the kitchen with the coffee cup.

I plugged in the coffee machine turning it on as I waited for Duncan and another million dollar question. The man was so incompetent sometimes, and other times he was amazing and efficient.

"Oh, I was just hoping to know where you kept the Benson's files? I can't find it in your file room."

"It might be in my office, go in and grab it."

"I did try...but it's locked."

I sighed "Ask reception for the key," did he really need to call me for such a little thing.

"Right of course, how is your morning going otherwise? You're working from home today?"

"Fine, I have a few chores to do." I said as I leaned over to put my capsule in the machine, when suddenly longer arms from above me grabbed the capsule and chucked it in.

I tilted my head slightly backwards knotting my eyebrows as I stared at Sterling gesturing to him if he wanted one.

I could feel his back pressed up against mine as he leaned again pressing the button making the machine whir to life.

"What was that?" I asked missing what Duncan was saying.

"Oh nothing, just saying I got the file."

"Great. You can leave the office unlocked," I muttered, winching when I felt something on my shoulder.

What the hell was this man doing?

I leaned away when I felt his lips on my shoulder again, this time he rested his chin on top.