17

The sun was harsh, even through the blinds as it burned into my eyelids till I grumbled turning around. I opened my eyes staring at the empty room, the clock in the far corner advising that it was only five in the morning. 

Goddamn it sun, go to bed.

There was a strange smell in the room and I sat up sniffing, was that...bacon? 

I looked over my shoulder and sure enough there was a tray with food in it, covered my see through glass lids. I crawled over towards it, looking at the note.

Eat up, I'll be back tomorrow - your loving rich husband.

I scoffed turning the note over. 

Back tomorrow? Where the hell could he have possibly gone before five in the morning. I was about to crawl back into bed when I remember what Ethan said, food helped the stomach. I decided to avoid the eggs and bacon and eat a plain slice of toast. I had throw up five times yesterday and brushed my teeth so hard that I was practically drawing blood.

I looked around the room wondering where Sterling had slept last night, well, thats if he didn't go back out after coming in to annoy me.

I swallowed the dry toast, drinking the glass of orange juice and heading towards a shower. I was up early, so I might as well utilise this time to work on some designs and checking how everything was going back home.

These designs were super important, I had to work even harder not having all my data. I sent an email to Duncan to follow up on a list of things on my absence. The wifi connection on the boat wasn't that great and there was no 4G to get data till we were at the first stop. I grumbled as my email came back to me as undelivered.

I sighed looking looking out at the ocean that was surrounding us. As nice as the fresh air and working on the deck was, I sort of missed having internet that was fast. I looked over the railing, back down at the bustling crowds. My eyes went around the cruise till I saw a familiar man sitting on the chair I was at last night.

I closed my laptop rushing into the room to grab Ethan's coat, hoping he was still there by the time I went down. The crowds were just as busy as yesterday even though it was nearing 7 a.m. I wondered how many people were on this cruise.

Sure enough Ethan was still there,  "Hey!" I called out as I rushed towards him. Ethan looked up, a cup of coffee in his hands. 

"Aedan, good morning how did you sleep?"

"Great, thanks for the jacket by the way." I lied as I handed it over. "Can I join you?" I asked.

Ethan moved up the deck chair waving a hand to accept my offer. Instead I grabbed a nearby deck chair and pulled it closer, the damn thing was heavy. I sat down on it facing the water like he was, "You get up early." I commented.

"Yeah I was hoping this place would less chaotic."

"Same." I said nodding, the smell of coffee wafting up to my nose. God damn now I wanted a coffee. 

"Where is Sterling?" I asked. 

"I'm not too sure, he's not asleep?" Ethan asked.

I shrugged, "I don't know. He just left me a note." I said, "Probably starting his day with tequila shots." I muttered shaking my head. 

"He might be taking a work call or something."

"What work." I scoffed. The man may pretend to his friends that he has a job but in reality I am yet to see him work a proper day. Just thinking about all the interviews he messed up was annoying me, he was purposefully dragging my name through the mud.

"Do you want to go for a walk?" Ethan asked.

"Here?" I asked looking around, "On the deck?"

"Why not, I bet one good lap around this would take an hour."

I shrugged, "Sure." I said standing up, "I have nothing else to do since I had no internet to work."

Ethan laughed as he stood up, "Working on a holiday you are hilarious Aedan."

I frowned, what was so funny. I really was working.

* * * 

Ethan was right, doing one lap of the entire boat was very long and tiring when you had to push past people. I was just surprised with how much there was to do here. We had walked past rows and rows of actual shops that sold things from every day household items to clothes to souvenirs. I just don't see why you wouldn't pack all of that anyway. 

"So how do you know Sterling?" I asked Ethan. We had been walking in pure silence, which was actually quiet nice for a change.

"We actually went to high school together."

"Oh wow, and you're still friends with him?" I asked.

Ethan smiled, "Sterling was a great guy in school, actually I was the weird one back then. The nerd that got picked on and Sterling was just good at everything he did. He was also an incredibly loyal friend, I am indebted to him."

I rolled my eyes, sure. 

"You know I was surprised when he told me he was getting married."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah he never really told us about you but I can see why. Probably wanted to hide you for himself." I scoffed, "But yeah I thought I of all of the gang would know since we were close but he never mentioned how you guys met."

"Parents." I said keeping it simple. Perhaps that was because we both didn't want to and it was semi planned and tactical.

"He just told me he met someone beautiful and charming and the next thing he knew was that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her."

"Not in those words." I pointed out, not to mention his tone seemed slightly mocking. 

"Pretty much in those words." Ethan smiled. 

I disagreed, I could hardly see Sterling using those words. He probably said something similar but definitley not that sentence. 

"How long were you guys dating in secret for." Ethan asked.

Urgh fuck, how was I meant to know?

I was trying to recall the elaborate backstory we had come up with, but right now I couldn't remember it for shit.

"Two and a half years, isn't that right darling."

I looked up to see the devil himself, it was never too early for Sterling to be carrying a glass of alcohol around. By the way he had slurred the word 'darling' I wondered if he was already drunk. 

Sterling placed an alarm on my shoulder, making me involuntarily flinch and lean away.

"Can I borrow my wife for a few minutes?"

"All yours. Catch you later Hart." Ethan said as he walked the other way. I looked up at Sterling confused.

"What do you want?"

Sterling smiled a smile that I did not like, it sent shivers down my body and not the good kind.

"Did you bring any slutty dresses?" he asked. 

Follow me on Insta! @imsooverpolice and if you want a follow back just ask in a DM.