Chapter One (II)

Chapter One (II)
Devil Town

Word Count: 380

I tried not to flinch each time Pope struck the ax against the tree. I couldn't even watch.

JJ engraved their names on the tree with a hot iron. I forced myself to watch that at least. Even though I could barely see.

"To John B." JJ's voice was emotionless as he held up his flask.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, giving a weak, "And to Sarah..."

JJ and Pope took a swig of their drinks while Kie looked down at the box in her hands.

I could only watch as they buried it. They were burying them. This was their grave.

After they covered the box, I stepped between Kie and Pope with a chicory flower in hand. Closing my eyes, I lightly kissed the flower before setting it down on the mound of dirt.

No one could say a word. No one wanted to say a word. Or, maybe, I couldn't hear a word. Didn't want to hear a word.

----

The door closed behind me as slowly as I was walking. I didn't bother to move aside the growing pile of clothes as I plopped down onto the pullout couch.

The Chateau was scarily quiet. Not even crickets dared to play their soft music. It was like the whole island knew, from the millionaires to the ants scavenging for crumbs.

I felt like those crumbs. I was being devoured by a mob of ants, all for different reasons with different purposes. They didn't want me, they want to tear me apart. Piece by piece. Until you can't even tell what I'm a crumb from.

And these ants expected me to be fine with it. They wanted me to act like this was just like what has been happening to me for the past sixteen years.

I slinked myself off the couch and outside. I instinctively went down the pier and sat on the edge. 

The only reflection in the water was the moon. No stars shined like they had what seemed like days before.

Maybe, just like the crickets, the universe knew.

I pulled off my shoes and threw them behind me. They didn't even touch the water anyways. I stood up, pulling off my shirt and shorts, leaving me in my underwear.

Not even thinking, I jumped into the water.

~~~

"Ward, you know I'm only trying to help." Rose's voice wasn't desperate, but she seemed like she was getting tired of the conversation.

"I understand that, but nothing's wrong with them." Dad was loud and firm. I was surprised no one else heard him.

Rose didn't stop. "I get that Rafe is your firstborn, but that doesn't make him invincible, and Adara-"

Dad cut her off. "Drop it, Rose. Just drop it."

I peaked my head through the crack in the door, watching as Rose and Dad went in two different directions. Their voices continued, but I couldn't hear any of it.

I quietly walked out of the bathroom and into my room, closing the door quietly behind me.

Sarah looked up from her homework at me.

I sat down on my bed. "Is there something wrong with me?" I ask quietly, glancing over to Sarah.

She shakes her head immediately. "No, why would you think that?"

"I heard Rose say..."

"Rose doesn't know anything about you." Sarah got off her bed and sat next to me on mine. "So she's a liar."

I smiled a little and nodded. "Rose is a bad liar too."

Sarah giggles and also nods. "A very bad liar."

~~~

====

This is probably the shortest chapter I've written.

But I'm back!

I wanted to give you guys something, as you've all been so patient. I also just wanna say, I love reading everyone's comments even when I'm not in a mood to write. It genuinely makes my day.

I do wanna ask you guys something - I know mental health is sort of mentioned in OBX with Rafe and all that, but I was thinking of adding it in with Adara. It's not going to be anything too triggering, but if I feel like something might be much I will definitely add a trigger warning. I just want to know your opinion. It's not something that's going to completely change everything, but something to better explain the reason why Adara is how she is if that makes sense.

I do want to say that I am not trying to romanticize or normalize any mental illnesses. I myself have anxiety. I'm going to do research and anything else I can to try and make sure I'm being as realistic as possible. 

If anybody has any suggests or knows anything that will help me, I would love to hear them.

I don't know when I will post the next chapter, but I really hoped you enjoyed this one!