Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven
Fanning the Flames

Word Count: 4.2k

When we got to the dock, we all got off the boat and basically went our separate ways. I biked back home, thinking about the Pogues and the Royal Merchant.

There was no way someone had gotten the gold from the wreck. There would be news about someone suddenly receiving 400 million, right? Something wasn't right about it.

When I got home I immediately got changed. I even pampered myself a little. Since everything with JJ I've been feeling off, so I wanted to feel myself again. And I could do that if I looked good. The look I chose was bold, but I didn't care. It's not like anyone would really notice.

After I was all ready and feeling better, I texted Kie about returning her clothes.

Me: Hey, I'll give you back your clothes next time I see you
Me: I'll make sure to wash them
Kie🔑: How about later today?
Kie🔑: Go out to a movie with the boys as a distraction?
Me: Sounds good to me
Kie🔑: Maybe you and JJ could
Kie🔑: Distract eachother?????
Me: Ugh, god no please don't mention him right now
Kie🔑: Something happen between you 2??
Me: I'll explain later
Kie🔑: You better

I put Kie's clothes in the washer and headed outside, going for a little walk. The only people home were Rose and Wheezie. Didn't know or care where Rafe was, and Dad was probably working. Sarah was always out somewhere, probably with Topper.

I came back inside after about half an hour and switched the clothes from the washer to the dryer. I then went up to my room to hang out for a little bit. I grabbed my laptop, going on a store's website to look for a dress for Midsummer. I could buy it online and then pick it up at the store later.

After the clothes were all dry I put them in a mini backpack and went outside, grabbing my bike and heading over to Kie's. I figured I could hang out with her before we go to the movie.

When I got there we talked, and naturally, I told her what happened between JJ and me.

"When I woke up, he was just gone. And of course, me being me, I'm overthinking about it all the damn time."

Kie reached over and tossed a pretzel at me. "You know how he is. He doesn't talk about feelings."

I sigh and pick up the pretzel off my lap, eating it. "I know, I know." I shake my head. "I've just been feeling so bad I tried to get all dressed up to feel better."

"Well, let me say, you're looking good." Kie and I both giggled. "You'll have JJ trying to kiss you again in no time."

In no time, I knew she meant as soon as we got to the movies. Because right after she said it, we got ready to leave.

We went to pick up JJ and Pope. We wanted to give John B some space. He needed to work things out with himself.

"I'm so glad that they're still doing this," Kie said as we walked to where everyone was seated on the grass. "Keep calm. Carry on. Back to the OBX life, you know? Aren't you guys glad that I made you come?"

I nod a little, carrying a chair for myself. "I, for one, am very happy. I'd rather be doing this than wallowing in self-pity in my room."

Kie laughed while Pope spoke. "Ecstatic." He didn't seem it. Something was off with the boys as soon as we picked them up.

JJ cleared his throat, fixing his hat. "My couch was pretty comfy, I'll be honest."

We all set up our chairs and stuff, I noticed JJ and Pope whispering to each other. That only further my suspicions that they did something. And whatever it was, it wasn't good.