Chapter Four

Chapter Four
Beat Around the Chateau

Word Count: 3.5k

"Oh, so you left her in the boat, right?" Sarah asked softly while I held the little girl's hand.

She gave a little nod with an, "Mm-hmm."

"Can you tell us what she looks like?" I asked, offering a small smile.

The little girl's voice was quiet and high pitched. "She has a trunk and blue ears."

Sarah reached up and grabbed a wooden pole. "Okay. We're gonna get her for you." 

"Be careful of electricity." She was so adorable. 

"We'll be okay, don't worry." I let go of her hand and gave her head a light pat.

Sarah stepped up on the wooden railing and shuffled forward carefully. I stepped up after her and grabbed her hand. The plan was that I was to hold her, making sure she didn't fall as she picked up the stuffed elephant.

This was one of the few days recently where I wasn't with the Pogues and was actually hanging out with Sarah. Because of that, she decided to give me a mini-makeover ("Sandals are not practical for the Outer Banks." "But it works with the outfit!"). She wanted us to match a little bit for once. Usually I was against it, but this time it was actually nice. Having some girl time was a peaceful change from speeding away from maniacs trying to kill me and my friends.

"It's really dangerous," I looked down at the little girl once both Sarah and I were on. "So stay right here."

We held each other's hands tight, slowly making our way forward.

"Hey!" A woman called out. "There's 14,000 volts in those wires."

Sarah giggles a little bit, stumbling a little with a small shriek. I couldn't help but laugh as well. This was probably the least dangerous thing I've done in the past couple days.

Topper apparently was watching us. "Hey, Sarah, be careful!" Of course he only cared about her.

Everyone seemed to be spotting us in that moment. "Sarah, Adara, Get down now!" Rose, our stepmom, joined in worrying about us.

"Rose, calm down. I'm an athlete. I've got Ada here to keep us both safe." Sarah spoke as we kept walking. The sooner we got this done the sooner people would stop yelling at us.

She didn't give up. "You're both gonna get electrocuted! Get down!" She was not happy with us. "Are you kidding me? Get-"

Sarah nudged me a little and started to shake her hips a bit, me quickly following suit.

"Oh my... No." Rose muttered, shaking her head.

Topper didn't take that well. "Sarah, that's not funny."

"When I tell your dad about this, girls." 

We got to the boat, and I saw that the wire wasn't plugged into anything. I lightly hit Sarah's foot with mine, eyes gesturing towards the wire. We both smirked, coming up with the same idea.

"I see her!" She called out, leaning over to grab the elephant.

Rose called out for us again, but we just ignored her.

Sarah enacted our plan, pretending to fall into the boat. She gripped my hand, pulling me down with her. We both screamed, everyone calling out for us, mostly Sarah, and running over.