Chapter Three

Chapter Three
Call it a Scuba Day

Word Count: 3.7k

"What the hell happened back there?" Sarah paced back and forth in front of my bed.

She arrived home before me. I basically snuck into the house, with her help. I knew word of what happened would get out, I just hoped to god my involvement would remain a secret.

I was sitting on my bed, hugging a pillow. We decided to both take a shower and change into our pajamas before discussing anything. You know, take off some of the anxiety from earlier. It didn't completely work for me, but mostly.

I took a deep breath, watching her. "Can you please sit down? You're pacing is... You know..."

She stops dead in her tracks and nods, coming to sit down on the bed next to me. "Sorry." 

"You know John B, and his friends, right?" I asked. Stupid question.

Sarah nods. "Yeah, like the idiot who pulled the gun on Top?" She kind of snapped saying her description of JJ. That made me flinch a little.

"Well, about a month ago I ran into them, and they sort of 'took me in.' I'm friends with them." I looked down at my comforter, biting my lip as I waited for her reaction.

She was quiet for a moment. "You're friends with them?" She repeated. She didn't sound upset or anything.

I nodded. "I swear they usually aren't like that." I looked up at her. "They're really great people. They make me feel like I can be myself." I smile, thinking about our many outings. "Around them, I can be Adara, the girl who wants to live her life. Unlike with my old friends."

Sarah looked to be thinking. I didn't know what to expect. Usually, since we've spent almost every waking moment together, we know each other too well and can predict what the other is going to do. Usually.

"Your friends should make you happy." Sarah started. "And if they do, I'm happy for you."

I smile, practically squealing and launching myself to hug her. "I'm so glad you said that." We squeeze each other tightly. "I was so afraid you were only going to see what happened tonight." We both pulled out of the hug, but I kept talking. "JJ, the idiot who pulled the gun on Topper, he's never really like that. Just, you know what alcohol does to teenagers. Plus he's super protective of his friends. He's such a sweet guy, and funny, and just overall amazing. He can be a bit much at times, but we all have our moments. Like-"

"Ada!" Sarah cut me off, giggling. "You're ramble bambling."

I groan a little and shove my face in my pillow, hiding my blush. "Please kill me..." I mutter, realizing I basically leaked how I feel about JJ.

Sarah reached over and grabbed my pillow, forcing me to look at her. "It's okay. It's actually nice hearing you talk about boys. I feel like it's usually me."

"That's cause it usually is," I smirk a little. "You hoe." I joke with a giggle.

She laughs with a scoff. "Hardly." She says and shoves me, both of us breaking into a fit of laughter.

After our laughing fit calms down, I suddenly realize something. "Okay, there's two things I need to ask of you."

Sarah nods her head, signally for me to continue.

"Please please please, don't tell Dad about me being friends with them. I know John B works for him, but you know how he is." 

She nods, pretending to zip her mouth closed. "My lips are sealed. The other thing?"