Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen
Speak of the Devil, My Dad

Word Count: 3.1k

~~~

I kicked the sand, sighing in frustration. Gabbi and Hen had both ditched me for some identical twin brothers.

"Hope you don't mind, Ara." I could hear Gabbi's voice bounce around my head. I hated that nickname they had come up with. But they didn't care.

Hen was applying another layer of hot pink lipstick. She said it complements the blue streaks in her hair, but no one thought that. "Yeah, plus there's only two of them. And we know they're so out of your league. They have a little brother more you style, but he's only thirteen."

Sarah had introduced me to the girls at the age of thirteen after the friends she had didn't want me hanging out with them anymore. She never told me, but I heard they thought I was a sad excuse for a Kook. They didn't even think I was a Kook. No one knew where I came from. No one knew anything about me. Expect, for some bizarre reason, Princess Sarah Cameron actually liked me.

The boneyard was boring. Summer was about to start, but there weren't any Tourons yet, so no Kook or Pogue wanted to plan anything. I guess I shouldn't be one to judge what and wasn't boring, as that was my life.

I started to walk towards a patch of grass. It was a patch of which I was most familiar with. No one ever came this way. People came to the boneyard for the ocean and the parties. Not for wildflowers.

I made sure to step and sit down on a spot where no flowers poked out of the ground. The last thing I wanted right now was to destroy nature's beauty.

I looked around and smiled lightly. Most of the flowers were in full bloom.

I picked a few, making sure not to take too much or too many in one spot. After I had a good handful, I carefully made them into a flower crown. Purple-Flowering Raspberries, Chicories, and Downy Phloxes made a royal purple crown that was fit for more than a Queen.

A trace of a smile graced my lips as I made sure it wouldn't fall apart.

"Didn't know this was even here."

I jumped at the voice, dropping the flower crown and snapping my neck around to look at the boy the voice belonged to. I regarded that neck snap instantly, pain shooting through my head and back for a moment.

Blond hair absorbing the sunlight caught my eyes first, only for them to be drawn to his. They reminded me of the ocean this patch of flowers overlooked. Standing before me, with his toothy, charming yet mischievous smirk, was JJ Maybank. One of the most infamous Pogues on the island.

If Sarah was the Kook Princess, in comparison JJ was the Pogue Prince.

"You okay there?" He asked, moving closer so he was standing over me and blocking out the sun from my eyes.

I quietly gulped and nodded my head, removing my eyes from his sharp features. Any girl in their right mind has had a crush on him at some point in their life. Mine started in 7th grade when I was forced to go to Kildare Middle School instead of the good ole Kook Academy. And it never properly ended.