Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen
Bent Out of Ship Shape

Word Count: 1.8k

"It'll be fine." JJ played around with the chain. "It'll be fine with the Phantom. She'll get out of here quick."

We were all worried. Kie and I more than JJ. We had no idea where John B and Sarah were; they were MIA. Pope was becoming a loose cannon. Nothing could be set in stone.

"JJ-" I was going to voice my questions and concerns when the rising volume of sirens rushed by us.

"Whoa, whoa whoa whoa whoa." JJ sunk down in his seat a little, trying to hide his face as best as possible. I hid behind his seat, looking away from the cop cars.

Kie just acted natural. "They're still looking. It's a good sign."

JJ and I both sat back up. "How much longer until we get to the Phantom?" I fix the bandanna on my head, needing to do something with my hands.

"Not long." JJ reaches a hand back and lightly squeezes my leg. "Not too long."

Wasn't the most descript answer, but I was willing to take it.

I look out the window, trying to focus on the trees. The green of the leaves. The brown bark. The red motorbikes.

Red motorbikes?

I do a doubletake, noticing two guys with motorbikes on the side of the road. We pass them in a second, but looking behind I can see them follow us.

Maybe they were just waiting for the cops and us to pass so they could head off on their way. Maybe they were just a pair of Kooks who were trying to feel something by riding a vehicle that made them look cool.

But from a distance, that red motorbike looked so familiar...

The car felt like it stopped suddenly as Kie parked where the Phantom was stored.

JJ got out of the car first and went to open my door. "You alright?" 

I slowly nod as I hope out. "Yeah. Just nervous." Nervous felt like it was my resting emotion. 

He nodded and we all walked over to the storage container. He unlocked it and slide the metal door open, revealing the vessel we've been waiting for - the Phantom.

"There she be," JJ commented, walking inside first. "Hey, girl." He pulled a tarp off the front. "A 1983 Formula 402 SR1. The Phantom." He clicks his tongue and looks at Kie and me.

I give him a soft smile. "She's a beauty."

He looked back at it. "The first boat to make the run to Bermuda in under sixteen hours, girls." He walked up and put his hand on it, looking at us. "Forty years old! Forty. And it's still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen."

Kie shrugged a little. "It's kind of a junker."

"Kie!" I look over at her. Sure it was old, but it wasn't that bad. And I've grown up around only the newest of technology and stuff like that.

She glanced at me. "What? Tell me I'm wrong."

"Really?" JJ looks at her. "She's right there, Kie." He was talking as if the boat had feelings. "She can hear you." He had been talking a little quieter, but now raised his volume to normal. "Let's just put it this way. You would not be smokin' weed right now if she never existed, okay."

I had slowly made my way up to the boat and was now running my hand along it. "I would just like to point out none of us are smoking weed right now."