Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen
HMS Pogue Capsized

Word Count: 2.8k

We got to the dock early.

Kie was standing on the dock, looking around. "Dude, where is he?"

"Give him a second. He'll be here." I couldn't exactly see what Pope was doing.

JJ was on the boat, which we safely got into the water. "He's coming. He'll be fine."

I was sitting down on the edge of the dock. "It's John B. Have some faith in him." He's done a lot this past week. I think getting to the dock is one of the easier of his tasks.

Sirens had been traveling in the background, but we didn't think they were going to pull right up to us. Until it did. And it wasn't just any police car - it the Sheriff's car.

"JJ..." I call out, standing up as quick as I could.

He was rushing to do things at the sight. "Hey, yeah. Get back on the boat. Untie it."

I didn't stop and think before doing what he said. We didn't have the time to be arrested when John B was in a worse state.

"Shit..." Kie muttered as she went to untie the boat. Before she could do anything, as she was taking her time, the door opened to the Sheriff's car.

I expected a middle aged man to point his gun at us and yell for us to put our hands in the air, as we were being convicted of assisting a murderer. But instead, I saw a teenaged boy in a bright yellow t-shirt.

"Wait..." JJ said, looking at John B. "No way." He shook his head a little.

"No f'ing way."

"I'm sorry." 

"How did you..." I trailed off, getting off the boat.

We were all confused.

JJ chuckled as he went to get the boat ready again. "You've got to be kidding me."

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin." John B spoke nonchalantly as he pushed some hair out of his face.

Kie walked up to him. "Okay, that's believable. I'll buy that. For now." She said as she went in for a hug.

JJ walked around to the front of the boat, key in hand. "It wasn't easy bro, but I got the Phantom for ya, and she runs like she was made yesterday." He tossed his friend the keys, who easily caught them. "You ready to go?"

I looked around for a moment, biting my lip. "Where's Sarah?" John B and I asked at the same time. We exchanged looks as if telling each other the other person should know.

I took a little step back, bumping into the boat. "Wasn't she with you?" No, everything was supposed to be going well. We were so close. So close yet so far. John B couldn't leave without Sarah. And I couldn't take it not knowing if she was okay.

"No, no. We got separated at the swamp. She said she'd meet me here."

Pope shook his head a little. "No no. We haven't seen her, man."

"Okay, well I'm not leaving without her." Just like I thought.

JJ spoke up. "John B, look at me." Everyone did. "I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man." I just wanted to shut him up. "You've got plenty of gas, you've got plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay? Once you get there, lay low, alright? Hang out for a couple weeks, and then go overland, cross the border at Brownsville, you got that? Brownsville." John B looked like he was about to cry, and my heart wrenched for him.