Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve
Love is in the Eye of the Hot Tub Owner

Word Count: 5.0k

After JJ's explosion, we took a silent drive to the Wreck. No one was inside, thankfully, so we could relax and discuss what to do next.

John B knew we all were worried about JJ. I might have stopped crying, but that didn't mean the tears went away. "Look, he'll come around, alright? It's... He's doing a JJ thing."

Kie was staring down at the table. "You think he'll go home?"

I knew little of JJ's home life. I knew he lived with his dad only, and his dad was a drunk. In passing, I've seen what his dad does.

Pope was leaning against a window, looking out it. "There's about a zero percent chance that JJ goes home."

I stood up from my seat and start to head out the back door. I didn't say anything, cause I just needed to get out. 

"Ada?" 

"Adara?"

Sarah and John B both called out to me at the same time. 

I didn't stop walking. "I just need some fresh air," I said in the doorframe, right before I got outside.

I walked all the way down towards the water before sitting down on the grass. The water was my only focus, reminding me of JJ's eyes. Anything with even a hint of blue seemed to remind me of his eyes. 

I desperately wanted to believe that he felt the same way about me but was just scared. And his way of coping was pushing me away. But my wants and hopes were starting to lose their stick as time went on. As he yelled at me, telling me I wasn't his girlfriend. As he yelled at me, telling me I was like every other Kook.

I felt someone sat down next to me, and I didn't even care to see who it was. I figured it was Sarah. I leaned my head over on their shoulder, realizing it was Kie.

She wrapped her arm around my shoulder and, I don't know why, I almost broke down again. There was just so much, too much going on. I was so used to having fake friends that only liked shopping, swimming, and talking about boys. Now I had real friends that get me into real adventures and trouble. The change was too drastic for me. But I still wouldn't change becoming friends with them.

"You okay?" Kie finally asked after a moment of silence.

Usually, I would say I was fine, nothing's wrong. But right now, after everything, the truth for once was so obvious. "N-No..." I choke out a little, shaking my head.

She pulled me into a hug which I gladly accepted. Quiet sobs left my throat. Sobs that asked what was wrong with me. Why he didn't want to try again with me. Why I had to be the unneeded and weak link. Why I had to be the dull twin sister of an amazing girl.

My tears dried up after a while, but sobs still rattled around in me. I quickly wiped my eyes and tried to compose myself as my breathing randomly sped up.

Kie noticed this and put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Wanna go home?"

I nod almost immediately, letting her help me stand up.

When we go back inside the Wreck, everyone looking at us. Everyone looking at me. Sarah stood up and held her arms out again for a hug. I gave her a sad smile, the only smile I could do, and hugged her. 

She squeezed me lightly. "It's going to be okay." She whispered in my ear.

If I wasn't in this state, I would have just about scoffed at that line coming out of her mouth. I love her, but she doesn't know what it feels like to have a boy not share your feelings. I knew it too well.