Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen
Beating a Dead Pogue

Word Count: 2.5k

Pacing back and forth, I couldn't think straight. John B and Sarah had to be safe. They had to be okay. I could care less about Ward. He should rot in Hell.

We were all shaken up, not knowing what to do.

I wanted to scream. To cry. To break something. To punch a wall. I never had a surge of emotions like this. Not even with JJ.

A plane came flying over where we stood. Ward's plane.

"There goes the gold." JJ cursed, shaking his head. "Shit!" He kicked a plastic chair, easily breaking it.

"That's what you're worried about?" I snapped, looking over at JJ. It was unfair, but fair to me in this current state of mind.

Meanwhile, Pope had grabbed something in our little place of refuge and chucked it across the space. "Fuck!"

"Pope!" Kie called out as the mathlete picked up a baseball bat.

"Goddammit!" He started just hitting things. That was something I could get behind. "Shit! Fuck!" He hit everything he could, just yelling.

I wanted to break things with him but didn't want to end up on the wrong side of that bat. I was honestly a little scared by his outbreak. This wasn't like him, at all. Not that getting this upset is like me either.

Kie and JJ were trying to get Pope to stop, but I quietly encouraged him.

It wasn't until he threw a trash can that he let himself sit down, taking deep breaths.

"Pope..." Kie said softly, slowly walking over.

"Yeah, dude." JJ started.

I sighed a little and tuned them out. I walked over and picked up what looked to be a broken picture frame. There was no picture in it like someone had thrown it out before they put it to use.

I caught bits and pieces of what was going on - JJ offered Pope weed and they both believed they did this all for nothing.

"Cut it out," I mumble, dropping the frame and turning to face the three of them. I looked right past them as John B suddenly appeared. "John B..." He didn't look okay.

We all quickly rushed over to him. 

"Dude! Dude, you good?"

"Oh my god! John B!"

"Is this yours?" JJ asked, taking quick action to notice the blood coating his hands.

I stumbled back a little. He was here. He was here without Sarah. He was here without Sarah with blood on his hands.

I opened my mouth just as sirens started up. 

Kie, Pope, and John B all quickly hide down behind some wood, JJ grabbing me and taking me down with them.

The cops came and went, and we all remained hidden for longer than needed.

"John B..." I croaked out, the sirens long gone. I looked over at him, letting JJ grab my hand. "Where's Sarah?" The worst-case scenario was all I could think of.

----

"John B, what are we doing at the police station?" JJ looked out the window, playing with his hat a bit.

Everything had been explained to us. It was hard to process the fact that Rafe had shot Sheriff Peterkin. Sure, he had been a jerk to me my whole life and came close to killing JJ, but did I actually think he'd ever do something like that? Okay, maybe at times. But not really.