Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen
Hard Life to Crack

Word Count: 2.7k

The sun was setting as Pope took a wide turn and I tried not to slam myself up against the door.

"Pope, you clocked that car, man. Like that was so bad!" JJ could barely get out everything as he was laughing too hard. The two of them decided it was a good idea to start smoking weed. Their good ideas are different than mine.

Pope took the blunt he had out of his mouth as he glanced back at him. "I'm just glad I'm not driving now." He was literally driving.

JJ started laughing again and I put my head in my hands. "We were chased by a crazy old murderer with a shotgun, and now I'm going to die because of a stoned driver..."

"Pull over," Kie demanded Pope, not as amused as the boys.

He rounded another corner before slamming his foot on the break.

I lurched forward, almost hitting the seat in front of me.

Kie got out of the passenger's side. "JJ, it's not funny. He shouldn't be driving." She scowled as she rounded the car. 

JJ stopped laughing, face turning to look like a child being told off. "Mama's mad."

I nudge his foot with mine, giving him a 'Don't push it' look. He put his hands up in fake surrender as Pope hopped into the passenger's seat, handing JJ the blunt.

"Where are we going?" He asked as he took a hit, Kie sitting in the driver's seat. He offered me some, but I just shook my head.

She glanced back at him. "The last place they're gonna look."

I had to think about that one for a moment. The island wasn't huge, but there wasn't any place we haven't been. But as Kie started to drive, it clicked in my head - the Cameron residence.

When Kie parked, she was the first to get out, me right behind her. We both had a flashlight, as the boys would be useless with one in their states.

"You sure this is a good idea?" JJ asked as the two of them got out. "Cause this is the last place they'll look because of how stupid it is."

I sigh and turn to him, walking backward. "This is my sister, of course I'm sure." My back bumped up against the wall and I turned around. After Kie had jumped the wall and Pope was attempting it, I pulled myself up.

A pair of hands helped pushed me up. Well, a pair of hands more pushed my ass up. I appreciated the help from JJ, but he could have done it in a better way.

"Okay, I got a plan," Kie whispered as she was ahead of us all.

Pope was behind her as I was catching up. "Yeah, I have plans. We can do plans." He was muttering. "Let's do the plan thing. Let's get it. Let's plan it out." It was painfully obvious he was high.

Luckily, Kie was trying to deal with him. I picked up my pace a little so I made it past them and was in the front. I stopped once Pope started to sing some song about a plan. And his singing was quite loud.

I turned to watch Pope and Kie, tapping my foot a little. I was having some self-doubt. Of course Sarah would understand, but would we be able to get to her. I don't know what Ward's done, but it certainly isn't going to be good.

"It's not going to happen!" Kie's voice broke through the self-doubt. What was she doing? She said it herself - this was a quiet plan. 

I was going to walk over and ask what the hell that was when Kie turned around and started towards me.