Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine
Off the Coo-Coo Nest

Word Count: 4.9k

Silence. I could only hear the crickets chirping all around us. I slowly opened my eyes to look at them all. John B and Pope were staring into the fire, their expressions showing they were thinking. Kie and JJ did not look happy.

"Good joke, but that's not funny, Adara," JJ says, shaking his head.

Of course he'd say that. "I'm being serious..."

"How come we didn't know about you? Everyone knows all the Cameron's." John B asked. He didn't seem too fazed by the fact I was Sarah's sister. At least for now.

I shrugged, sitting back down. "My dad kind of always kept me out of the spotlight. Never mentioned me to anyone. Plus, Sarah and I look pretty different, so my relationship with them was never really questioned."

There was a moment of silence before Kie's voice broke through it. "I can't believe you kept something like that from us. You know the rule, no secrets amongst Pogues."

"I know, and I'm so sorry. It's been eating away at me keeping it from you, but I didn't want to be seen for my last name. Especially from my best friends." I felt like I had let them all down. That any moment, one of them was going to tell me to leave. And if they asked, I would. Because I loved them, and if they thought best I go, then I'll go.

"I know my word probably isn't the best right now, but you all have seen what I'm like." I continue. I didn't want to leave the best thing that has happened to me. "And Kie, if it makes you feel any better," I turned to my friend, knowing exactly why she and Sarah aren't friends. "I wasn't invited to that party either. And I'm her twin."

Kie seemed a little taken aback by that. I didn't blame her - a twin not going to another twin's birthday party? Crazy.

"I think we should do some kind of vote," Pope spoke up.

I furrowed my eyebrows a little. "What kind of vote?" That scared me. You never know what's going on in Pope's giant brain.

"A vote to see who really, really cares about you being a Cameron." He says with a shrug. Maybe that was a good idea, maybe it wasn't. I sure as hell couldn't tell you.

I nodded a little as Pope addressed everyone. "Those who think Adara being a Cameron is an act against the Pogues, raise your hand." JJ was the only one to raise his hand. "Those who think Adara being a Cameron isn't that bad, raise your hand." JJ immediately put his hand down and Pope and John B raised theirs. Kie was hesitant for a moment before raising her hand.

I know I should have been relieved, but I wasn't. My heart dropped into my stomach at the fact JJ raised his hand against me. He couldn't even look at me. A part of me understood, but another part kept yelling why.

Pope stood up. "Majority rules. Adara being a Cameron is alright."

Without many other words, we all went to hop in the Twinkie and drive off to John B and Sarah's meeting place. Kie was slightly accepting of me being a Cameron, but that doesn't mean she was accepting of Sarah.

"Alright." John B said as he parked.

Pope opened the backdoor as JJ looked like he was ready to get out as quickly as possible. "We're goin'. Recon mission."

I sighed a little. I knew the reason he wanted to get out was so he didn't have to talk to me. He and Pope were on the floor while I sat on the seat right next to them.