Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen
Shooting Corners

Word Count: 2.0k

The gold was gone. Completely and utterly gone. And who took it? None other than Mr. Ward Cameron himself, the man I once called Dad.

"Are you sure he got everything?" Kie asked from her post on the fence. 

John B was laying down on the dock and I was sitting next to JJ on the other side of the fence. He was facing the water while I faced our friends.

"Every bar. The whole enchilada." John B's voice was flat as he pulled off his wrist cast. We had finally found the very thing that his father spent his life searching for, only to have the person that took his father's life take it from us.

He threw the cast off to the side. "Look, it's not like I excepted a happy ending or some shit."

I bit my lip a little. "John B, you shouldn't do that." I shifted a little, leaning on JJ a little.

John B didn't look at me, but I could tell he rolled his eyes. "It's a hairline fracture, Add. Who cares?"

"I do," I mumble, coughing a little from the smoke of JJ's blunt.

Kie jumped in to help me out. "You should care. Your arm's gonna be messed up for life."

He held up his bad arm a little. "It's fine, see." He really lightly wiggled his fingers, as if proving a point.

I sigh a little and rest my head on JJ's shoulder, looking up at him. With him, you could never tell what was going on inside that brain of his.

"Guys!" Pope came running onto the dock at us. He was wearing a pair of slacks and a button-up white shirt. "Guys!"

Wait, wasn't he supposed to be at his interview?

He was out of breath and panting by the time he got to us. "Oh oh! Oh god. I ran all the way here." He put his hands on his knees and took a moment to catch his breath. 

John B glanced over at him. "You alright?"

"How was the interview, Pope?" JJ asked, turning a little towards me.

Pope grunted. "Don't ask."

I furrowed my eyebrows a little. "Did something-" 

"JB." Pope didn't come here to have a chit chat. Something was on his mind that he needed to tell us. "Look, I'm sorry, dude. About everything."

I felt my phone buzz in my back pocket and pulled it out. It was from Sarah. I hadn't talked to her or texted her since last night. She was probably going to be pissed with me.

Sa Ra👸🏻: we'll have to talk about somethings later
Sa Ra👸🏻: dad and i are going to the Bahamas
Me: What??
Me: Sarah you can't go
Me: If you don't believe John B you HAVE to believe ME
Sa Ra👸🏻: sorry, ada
Sa Ra👸🏻: i have to
Sa Ra👸🏻: dad said it was something about business
Me: Yeah
Me: the business of robbing and killing people!
Sa Ra👸🏻: That's a bold accusation for dad, ada
Me: Well I have years of reasoning for it
Sa Ra👸🏻: ada

I had clocked out of monologue coming out of Pope's mouth for a while until he mentioned the private airstrip. An airstrip Ward used. An airstrip he was probably using right now with Sarah.

I felt JJ hovering over my shoulder, trying to see what I had been so engrossed in, but all I wanted to do right now was listen to what Pope had to say.