the Gangsters

“I can’t believe I’m going to do this again.” Lauren uttered as she tightened her silver tie. She was currently skimming the long hallway and was accompanied by two men in white suits.

“GOOD EVENING BOSS!” Two men greeted her. In proportional meters, men standing on opposite walls were simultaneously bowing as she passed them. There weren’t sets last time, she thought, her father was serious on giving her a zero chance to escape this time’s business reunion.

Tonight is between them and the Southern Mob. It was a gathering that was not of her concern, but one of tonight’s agenda is all about the announcement of each syndicate’s head heirs. So as the only daughter of the Northern Cabal’s Head Boss, it’s her duty to witness and honor the announcement of her brother’s proclamation.

The feast was already starting when Lauren entered the main hall. She indicated the time and noticed she was already 30 minutes late. Much better than the 2 hours late of last time’s reunion between the Western Mafia.

She noticed the occupants of the hall were divided to two, the Mob-Big Bosses that were in red tux are seated on long tables and were on the left part of the huge room. On the otherhand were in white tux Cabal-Big Bosses around the rounded tables. Above them was a long refectory table placed on a stage and occupying it are the Head Bosses of each syndicates.

Lauren thanked the sexy belly dancers in colorful drags sprawled in between the groups. They currently catched the entranced men and she could silently cross the distance and settled in her own table.

“You’re late again.” George said without looking at her. She and her brother were the only ones occupying that table, -- How obvious could that be? She thought.

She primarily decided to ignore his greetings and concentrated on the show. Since they were kids, Lauren had tried to get along with him but he was the one driving her away. Then she thought that maybe it was because of the idea that  they got different mothers, but by any means they had never met their mothers. Finally, that one day just came to her that the bond that she always wanted from him was completely hopeless.

“When I’m going to be the head, I’ll let you marry Lindon.” George added.

Lauren, transferred her sight at the man on one of the long tables and discovered that he had eyes swollen in perverted thoughts of her. His gaze was like a laser that he could almost see through her skin... No, through her clothes. Lindon Cheng is the next heir of the Mobsters, not bad though. How could she ever escape when that happens?

After the show, introductions and statistics came next. As what she and the Northern Cabal men expected, they still ranked higher than the mobsters and among the four business syndicate tribes. Tolerance is the main motto of the four tribes, so, though mobsters carved ire all over their faces, they stayed mute and neutral.

Her father, Lord Cururugi then raised a goblet and smiled for success, “To my family, my capable Big Bosses and their men. To the Northern Cabal. This is for our victory.” That’s all the words needed to make an uproar among the Cabal men. He then faced the Mobsters’ Head Boss, Lord Cheng and offered him a toast, “It’s nice working with you Lord Cheng.”

Lord Cheng smiled and raised his own goblet, “Congratulations.”

They then clunked the goblets and shrunk its remains. The celebration then continued.

The noise faded when Lord Cheng rouse from his chair and raised his palm halfway. Lauren imagined him a comedian, besides that he’s wearing a red tux, designed with white polka dots, his face looked like a rounded-faced clown. She then wondered how could Lindon look so handsome with such a father, but such a demonic son with a kindred Head Boss. Lord Cheng then grinned, “Since it’s my 65th birthday next month, I honestly said to myself that... I’m getting old.”