A Priest Walks into a Bar [3]

"I caught a partial from the shooter's plate," Maya explained to an Officer as she handed him the paper she wrote on "Can you run this for me?"

"You got it," The officer said.

"Thank you," Maya walked over to Lucifer "So I spoke to Father Frank's alibi. Checks out. He was in confession with Mrs. Madison from 11:00 to 12:00. He's not our guy,"

Lucifer sighed in frustration "Well, maybe she's lying. I mean, you know the sort of people that go to church. Sinners."

Maya rolled her eyes "Lab results from the voice modulator came back empty. No prints, no DNA,"

"What, so you think this shooting and the youth director's death are connected?"

"We know they have at least one thing in common." Maya walked over to where Father Frank was sitting "Father, you will be relieved to know that no one was injured,"

"Oh, thank God," Father Frank praised.

"Please don't," Lucifer groaned.

"You care to tell us what that was about?" Maya questioned.

"The shooting? I don't know,"

"This wasn't a random attack." Maya pointed out. "They were shooting at you. But you don't seem surprised. What aren't you telling us?"

Father Frank took out his cell phone and played a voicemail.

"Keep your nose out of our business or else." The voice said.

"The voice modulator from Arietta's office." Maya realized. She looked at Father Frank "You should have gone to the police with this,"

"I assumed it was Arietta," Father Frank admitted "and I'm not afraid of him. But if it's The Spider..."

"Spider?"

"I've heard whispers of another dealer trying to take over Arietta's business. People call him The Spider. Scary, violent reputation,"

"Do you know who this Spider is?"

Father Frank shook his head "I don't,"

"You're holding something back, Father. I can tell,"

"I have a confession to make,"

"Finally!" Lucifer cheered "Well, the truth will set you free...isn't that what your beloved book says?"

"I lied when I said Connor was in danger of becoming involved. He already is. Dealing for Arietta,"

"What, that's it? Oh, please don't tell me that's what you've been holding back all this time,"

"Wait." Maya interrupted "If Connor's already in deep, why go to all this trouble to protect him?"

"He's had it rough." Father Frank explained. "Thinks he can only rely on himself. He's a good kid, Detective. There's still hope for him,"

"Father, you were today's target. We need to worry about your safety first. Do you have a place to stay? We can offer police protection,"

"I'm fine right here. This...is my sanctuary,"

"Well, your sanctuary just got shot to high heave, Padre," Lucifer reminded. "But if you're looking to lay low," he looked at Maya with a smirk. "I believe I know just the place,"

"Seven Hells," Maya muttered as she realized where Lucifer was talking about.

***

Maya couldn't help but loosen up as she sat in Lucifer's bar, watching as strippers dressed as Nuns walked up to them and began dancing.

"Thought this might make you feel more at home, you know." Lucifer teased Father Frank.