Favorite Son [2]

Lucifer poured himself a drink as Maze and Maya looked at him.

"Didn't you hear what we just said?" Maze asked "The container is missing,"

"I heard you," Lucifer said calmly, it was enough to cause Maya to be on edge.

"Then why aren't we out there recovering it?"

"Why fuss? I suppose if somebody wants it badly enough to steal it, then perhaps they should have it, then,"

"Really?" Maya questioned.

"Mm-hmm,"

"This doesn't upset you?"

"I don't know what to tell you, Winchester. I guess it's not that important to me after all,"

"Well, it's your container...and your reputation," Maze said.

Lucifer looked up at Maze "What about my reputation?"

"Well, apparently, it's okay to steal from you now. But..." Maze played with Maya's hair causing the former hunter to stiffen "if it doesn't bother you...doesn't bother me," she released Maya and walked off.

Lucifer let out a wry laugh.

Maya watched him, unsure of what to do, it was her day off. But once more the hunter instinct reminded Maya they never took a day off, but they also never helped the devil. She groaned internally but turned back towards Lucifer "Do you have a laptop?"

***

Minutes later, Maya was looking over what was currently known on Chloe's case as she sat with Lucifer "What was in the container?" Maya asked, filling the silence as he continuously watched her over her shoulder. She was hoping the talk would distract her from focusing on his breathing down her neck.

"A personal item, insignificant," Lucifer claimed.

Nope, not helping, but now Maya's curious.

"Lucifer, what was in it?"

"The only thing I brought with me to Los Angeles,"

"That doesn't answer my question,"

"Look, I was storing some stuff, it was stolen, the theft sets an awful precedent, so I'm obliged to make the person responsible pay,"

"Lucifer, it's my day off. If I go in now, Chloe will know it's cause of your influence,"

"But I never influenced you, I didn't even tell you to hack into the LAPD database. Naughty move by the way,"

Maya turned to give Lucifer a look.

"What if I told you I have a lead?" Lucifer stood up "Oh, and leave the badge,"

***

"Snow cones?" Maya asked Lucifer as they stood in line "This is your lead?"

"What can I get you?" The owner asked.

"Uh, yes. I'll have two Tropic Wonders and your face smashed into the ground," Lucifer said.

"What?" The owner asked confused.

Lucifer tossed the man out of the van.

"What the...?"

Maya grabbed Lucifer's shoulder "Lucifer, what are you doing? Stop!"

"I believe thy call this interrogating," Lucifer claimed.

"Lucifer, stop!"

"He needs to tell me where my stuff is,"

"Don't,"

"I just sell snow cones," The owner pleaded.

"Lucifer! This isn't how we do things,"

"This pathetic sap's real name is Frankie Costa, and his real job is transporting and storing illegal goods." Lucifer explained "Maze set up the warehouse through him. So if someone knew to rob it, he'd be involved,"

"I wouldn't steal from my own operation." Frankie grunted "That warehouse is off-limits., Hey, man. I'm trying to get out of the storage racket,"

"Yes, focus, Frankie. Who took my property?"

"I don't know. I'm trying to find out myself. This is bad for business,"

"And who would know about the storage service?" Maya questioned.

"Who are you?"

"I'm someone who can easily walk away and let him do whatever he wants to you. Or if you're not responsible, you can point us in the right direction of someone who is. Cool?"

"Okay, okay," Frankie gasped "Los Diablos,"

"The biker club?"

"Yeah. I run the warehouse, but they run the docks. If anything went down, they would know about it. That's all I know. I swear,"

"All right, all right," Maya nodded for Lucifer to let him go.

"Fine," Lucifer tossed Frankie to the side.

"Get me a snow cone," Maya told Lucifer.

"Anything for you Darling,"

***

"That was incredible," Lucifer marveled as he and Maya walked through the park "It was musical, poetic really. We were like fish and chips, salt and pepper. Hipsters and condescension,"

"Rum and coke," Maya added as she took a bite of the snow cone "I should go back and arrest his ass,"

"Why?"

"He skims on the cherry syrup,"

Lucifer smiled "I'm rubbing off on you,"

"Not enough," Maya admitted, "What's in the container?"

Lucifer sighed "It was a gift from my father,"

"That doesn't help with the worry, Lucifer. What was it a Supernatural artifact?"

"Look you're gonna have to trust me, all right?"

Maya bit her lip in thought "Alright,"

"Really?"

"My brothers are probably rolling in their graves...but I trust you,"

"Okay then. Under what rock will we find Los Diablos? It's very on-the-now-name if you ask me,"

"Always the egotist," Maya smirked with a shake of her head.