chapter 24

"sure then, don't dance

"sure then, don't dance."

loki's pov!

she stared at me before turning back to the vendor- more specifically, she calls him the ice cream man.

"a double scoop of mint chocolate chip and dark chocolate for him and cookie dough and cotton candy for me please.", she said, offering a smile at the man.

before we arrived here, she had this child-like wonder when she started talking about this dessert and was quite persistent in dragging us both to the ice cream stand nearest to us.

it's the one near the first park we went to.

she kept on calling it an atrocious crime that i have not tried it at least once in the millenium i've lived.

she placed a cone with two scoops of green and dark brown in my hand and licked hers.

she seemed to notice something, and said, "can you hold my cone for me for a while?"

holding her cone in my hand, the cold would have bothered humans by now, but unlike them, i was unaffected by it, in fact it was a nice cold.

she fished out two hair ties from her bag, and put her hair up in a bun. after she was done smoothing out the top of her hair, she looked at my hair and a small smile spread upon her lips.

"is it okay if, you know, i tie your hair back? i can do like a ponytail if you don't want a man bun.", she asked hopefully.

"go ahead, darling.", i said as she moved behind me.

her hands gently gathered my hair to one ponytail and wrapped it up into a bun, the hair tie sliding off her wrist, and securing my hair up.

"all done!", she whispered as her hands lightly brushed my shoulders on the way back, "and thanks for holding my ice cream."

she retrieved her treat back and started licking off the corners where it started to melt.

i stared a bit too long until she raised her eyebrows at me. "yours is melting too.", she commented.

i looked at mine and gave her a look.

"do i have to lick it like a dog?"

"the only way to do it right, unless you want to get your hand messier than it is now."

"oh fine.", i frowned slightly before checking my surroundings.

"we're already in the park, loki. no one goes to this area as much."

i started licking and she couldn't help laughing.

"shut up.", i mumbled.

"i can't! you remind me of chaos.", she laughed harder.

"i still can't get over the fact you were a cat for so long, and i didn't know. wonder what things you've done without me realising.", she looked at me accusingly.

before that look turned from accusatory to terrified.

"tell me you haven't seen me nak- never mind, don't tell me. ignorance is bliss.", she said before biting off her cone.

i chuckled and followed her actions. i didn't but she didn't want to know so, i suppose i won't say. keep her curious for a while.

i and her finished our ice creams, strolling slowly down the path.

she brushed the last of the cone crumbs off her hands and looked up, the fiery-colored leaves falling slowly in the wind, making her again, look enchanted.

i was struck with awe for a good while, snapping out of it soon. belle's a friend.

she turned to me, and smiled bright oblivious to my previous staring, and instead pulling me by my arms and spun us both.

it seems like the leaves aren't the only ones dancing.

"you know how to dance right?", she questioned with an excited sparkle in her eyes.

"no i don't, i've never danced once in my royal life. not in the many galas and balls i've attended each year.", i smirked at her.

"sure then, don't dance.", she mocked, as i shook my head and led her into an easy asgardian court dance.

ones they use to introduce a couple for the first time in public, but she doesn't need to know that.

we stopped dancing soon after and i grinned before shoving her into a pile of leaves playfully. she got up wiping the leaves out of her face that was set in determination, and started chasing after me.

she tackled me down at last, sending the both of us rolling and tumbling into colors of orange, yellow, and brown.

she laughed. i laughed. we laughed for so long, tears came out of her eyes. she rolled onto her back beside me staring up at the darkening sunset-streaked sky.

all we could hear then was the rustling of fallen leaves and our uneven breathing, from the run and fall.

"autumn is the season of change, it isn't necessarily a good change. from the fun summer to the cold winter, it interprets as from happy times, you'll go to sad times. not everything ends as happily ever after as they do in the books.", she spoke carefully after a few minutes.

"autumn reminds me that just because i'm happy, doesn't mean i won't be sad later. and just because i'm sad, doesn't mean i won't be laughing later. life is like the seasons, always changing. autumn's just the middle ground.", she smiled deeply and a smile spread upon my lips too.

"so life is ever-changing?", i asked her.

"isn't it always?"

"best treasure every second then, isn't that right, belle?", i smiled at her.

she turned her head, her eyes glowing in an incandescent gold meeting my wild emerald ones, "more right than ever, loki."

author's note:

will be taking a small break due to my recent drain of motivation and inspiration.
there's a few projects i have to squeeze in, and not to mention my second vaccine.

i will be returning after i sort things out in my life i guess, thanks everyone.