chapter 30

"well, i guess that's what friends are for

"well, i guess that's what friends are for."

belle's pov!

i leaned against the door of my own apartment, getting myself together to unlock the door and come in.

trying to wipe what was left of tear-stains on my cheek, i unlocked the door slowly before walking in.

to my surprise, loki was sitting on the couch, turning to me briefly. i realised he was already wearing his black suit, a scarf dangling around his neck loosely.

"i'm back. ready to go, loki?", i asked softly.

"yes, i suppose we have to leave now?"

"yeah.. we can talk on the way back.", i said, offering the smallest of smiles to him to which he just nodded in response.

"you never told me why exactly you turned into a cat.", i piped up, making him raise his eyebrows.

"like couldn't you be anything else? a horse, a snake, anything."

"thor insisted i go subtle and not attract attention. a cat was agreeable."

"but a dog-"

"in no way will i be a loud energetic barking-"

"okay, got it. i feel as if thor would be better suited as a dog rather than you."

"he'd be a golden retriever or a labrador!", i grinned, imagining it in my head.

"he'd depict that very well.", loki commented with a sly smirk.

"ah don't get ideas, loki. i don't want to hear about a god-turned-dog incident. i already witnessed a god-turned-cat event."

"and now, i'm friends with that cat.", i said plainly.

"you should be honored.", he replied, smirking.

"uhuh, yeah i'm so honored."

"from the way you're saying it, it doesn't sound like you are."

"i am honored!"

soon, we were standing right under the tower, the avengers logo shining nicely. i took a deep breath and stepped in with him.

the elevator ride was relatively quiet, as though the both of us just realised how serious this may be, and how really, this is the part we didn't want to talk about.

stepping on the usual floor, i saw tony hunched over on the kitchen counter and thor passed out on the couch maybe because of jetlag. if asgardians do get jet lag...

i saw steve and bruce sitting on the other couch watching tv, and nat and clint were fighting over...something that looked like...is that poison- i'd rather not ask..

"hey? um welcome back!", i said loud enough to let them know of my presence.

thor jolted awake, and grumbled sleepily before going back to sleep.

"belle? what are you- oh right, forgot that we let you babysit the cat.", tony muttered while drinking down another cup of coffee.

"you let her, not me or clint!", nat yelled from the other side of the room.

"whatever romanoff, anyways, how was he? tell me he didn't rip up your clothes and drop your mugs."

"loki's fine. he's nice company."

"really? that snake?", tony said in disbelief, oblivious to what i just said.

i looked at him deadpanned.

"you think my brother's good company?", thor's voice asked giddily. wasn't he asleep just a few seconds ago?

"wait-", steve said, finally processing something. finALLY.

"when were you all going to tell me, you did not hand over a cat to me, but a god?", i said, a smirk forming on my lips.

"see i told you she'd find out. she's smart like that.", nat said sighing.

"thanks nat!", i chirped happily.

"why didn't you call?", bruce asked .

"he wasn't causing problems.", i said confidently before i turned back to loki, who just stepped out from the wall that he hid himself behind, "right?"

"definitely not.", he replied honestly.

"so he just didn't do anything?", clint asked again bluntly.

"no? he became my friend if that counts."

"WHAT?", tony asked splurting his coffee on the floor.

"aw you just wasted good coffee, stark.", i said, them all still gaping at me.

"belle, in all my years knowing you, you would never be one to be friends with such a-"

"an amazing, talented sorcerer? who actually reads just like i do, and is somewhat self-centered," i swat away the 'hey!' loki uttered, "but still cares for people in his own way? the one that likes cats, but won't admit it? the one who hates soda but loves pizza secretly?"

"well, rogers, you thought wrong. i am friends with him, and i happily am. "

"hot. oh my gosh that was hot.", nat mumbled out, clint staring at her weirdly.

"thanks nat!", i smiled before adding under my breath, "not as hot as you though."

i turned back to steve who was sheepishly rubbing his neck, "i was about to say such an individual, but-"

it was my turn to blush, "oh."

"still pretty impressive of you to talk of reindeer games in that way.", stark commented.

"well, i guess that's what friends are for.", i said laughing nervously, looking at loki one last time.

he was smiling.

smiling at me.

oh my gosh, my butterflies are going crazy.

author's note:

hello, i went m.i.a. yesterday because i was afraid to post the next chapter.
and i fear that fear of mine has led to me posting once every two days, and posting pretty late at that.

the end is coming near for this book.
i won't lie, i am very sentimental to this work of mine and ending it makes me feel a type of way.

cheers though! i've decided on keeping the shipname as loelle.
(unless there are any last minute arguable ideas that you want to add in, i'm all open for that too!)