•1: SS2 Already•

[Edited]

Rolake Coker

5:30 am
The alarm on my phone rang, pretty loudly might I add which caused a loud groan to escape from my mouth. I tapped my bedside table for my phone and grabbed it, immediately putting it on snooze which was to ring again in the next five minutes.

As cliche as it seems, that's how every normal high school teen story starts. Unfortunately, I'm not an exception.

You're probably wondering why I snoozed it instead of turning it off completely. Well apparently, once the alarm goes off, I can't sleep again. Like it is literally kicked out of my system. Whoosh. Gone. So I usually take a few minutes to gather myself together in order not to get a headache for the whole day.

The alarm rang again sooner than I expected and I was already trugging towards my bathroom. I did my morning routine and came out tying a towel and headed to my wardrobe. I took a pair of my uniform that consists of a red and royal blue checkered pleated skirt which stopped a few centimeters above my knees, white long sleeved shirt which fits me like a glove, deep blue blazer and a red tie which had the name Horizon High School neatly embroided in italics with silver thread. I would have worn my red blazer instead of the blue one but I was feeling bluey today. I got out my neat white socks and newly acquired deep blue Nike Jordan and moved to my bed, sat down and wore them. You see, in Horizons, any shoe goes as long as they aren't heels, sandals or slip ons and they are in the colours red, deep blue, black or white. Last term I wore red vans but decided to go for a change since it's a new session.

I headed to my LED light dressing table and sat down on the chair. During the holidays, I got bored and decided to order LED lights for my room and till today, I'm not regretting my decision. I styled my neatly plaited box braids into a bun and decided to add edges to it. I put on colourless lip gloss and looked at my reflection in the mirror. I was pretty. From my flawless cocoa brown skin, well sculpted brows, not-too-thin cat eyes, pointed nose and plum lips. I smiled at my reflection, got up and snagged my phone from my bed.

6:39 am the time read immediately I put it on. I unlocked my phone and put on my data. I put it off and flung it on the bed and went towards my reading table to pack my bag while the messages and notifications entered. When I was done packing all the necessary things I needed, I flung my red backpack over one shoulder, went to my bed, took my phone and then stuffed my it into my blazer pocket, picked my airpods and I was out of my room.

I made my way down the flight of stairs while greeting the domestic workers that I saw on the way. I might be from a wealthy home, but my mama taught me some manners.

"Good morning mom" I greeted my mom as I entered the kitchen. She was supervising what the cooks did as they bustled around the kitchen attending to one thing or the other. I walked towards her and gave her a peck on the cheek. A smile graced her face.

"Good morning Rolake mi" she said, the smile not leaving her face. She was dressed in a night robe and her hair packed up. "No work today?" I asked her moving towards the food one of the cooks had set down for me. "I'll go later today" she said coming to sit beside me. I just nodded my head and started to eat the toast, egg and tea in front of me.

My mom's the owner of Onomski's Empire. She was in her early forties but someone who didn't know her would think she just clocked thirty. With a really beautiful smile, dark skin, small thin lips, pointed nose and captivating eyes. She had a body with everything in the right amount and portions, and a golden personality. I really loved my mom.

"I can't believe your in Ss2 already. By this time next year now you'll be getting ready to write your JAMB and all that. Then you'll leave me for uni. Oh they grow up so fast" mom said wiping a fake tear of her face and sniffling. I snorted at what she said and shook my head. Drama queen much?

"Mummy your just being dramatic. I'm just going to uni, not travelling. And besides that is next year's wahala" I said shrugging and drinking my tea. "Next year is sooo close" she whined and pouted. I swear this woman was a baby in an adult body. I just shook my head and continued eating. In a few minutes, I was done.

"This one that your early today, it's not even seven yet. Which spirit entered your body this morning?" She asked, an amused smile on her face. I was already standing up to put my plates in the sink but I paused and looked at her. She had a brow up expecting an answer. Yunno she was right. I'm quite early today. I just shrugged and walked to the sink.

"I honestly don't know o" I said and went over to where I had dropped my bag before.

"I pray that spirit is there to stay" she said getting up to continue what she was doing and I swear I heard the workers stifle a laugh. "Don't hope too much mom" I said laughing and carrying my bag. "Anyways I gotta go" I said making my way to the door. "Love you baby C" mom shouted throwing an air kiss. I caught it and kept it in my blazer pocket "love you too momma C" I said laughing and exiting the kitchen. "Have fun!" She shouted from behind me. "I will!" I shouted back.

I chuckled and shook my head. Mama Coker ehn. Wahala won po ju. I walked through the corridors towards the large sitting room and saw my dad sitting on one of the sofas with hot water in a mug in one hand, and his tab in the other. The TV was on but he was paying more attention to the tab than to whatever the lady on the news was talking about.

I walked over towards him and knelt down beside him in form of greeting. "Ekaaro daddy" I said and and he looked up from whatever he was doing and dropped his mug on the coffee table beside him. A smile graced his face. "Ah my daughter, how are you?" He asked me while he gestured for me to stand up. "I'm fine sir. E yin ko?" I asked him, standing up. "I'm okay" he said while I nodded.

My dad was currently dressed in casual wear obviously dressed for work. My dad was never one to like suits. He hated it. He preferred either casual wear or his native Yoruba attire which by the way, he always slayed in. My dad owns Flash Deliveries Ltd. He deals with all those transportation things both home and international. He also sold imported cars. You're probably wondering why the name's Flash. Well when I was younger and I asked him, he said he loved Flash and he was his favourite superhero and what other way to name a company than your favourite superhero? I laughed that day ehn. His company is a well known company with branches everywhere.

"Your ready for school?" He asked in his polished, fluent English. "Yes sir" I said in affirmation. "Hope you're ready for this session?" He asked me with a playful smile on his face. I raised my chin up and said "I was born ready". We broke into laughter, then he lifted up his hand for a fist bump which I bumped back.

"That's my girl. Should I drop you off at school or you'll take the driver?" He asked taking his mug of hot water and taking a sip. "I'll take the driver while you," I said pointing at him "head over to work." I finished turning to leave the room. "Enjoy your day!" Dad said. "And you too pops" I said over my shoulder and left the room.

Yup. Just another normal day in the Coker household.

I got out of the house and was greeted by Tunde, my driver. I greeted back and headed over to my red sports car and got into the back seat, putting my bag beside me. Tunde started the car and veered out of the mansion. I brought out my phone from my pocket and checked through my messages replying only a few. I exited the app and put off my data. I connected my airpods to my phone and played The Nights by Avicii. I checked the time and saw it was a few minutes past seven.

Early enough.

And with that, I closed my eyes as we drove down the streets of Lagos.

A/N
So chapter one down. What do you think of Rolake and her parents?
How was the chapter?
Comment down your thoughts and don't forget to tap that orange star at the bottom of your screen to make someone happy (that someone being me😹)

Till the next chapter
🚶