•22: Rubber Duck•

Rolake Coker

I hummed in my sleep as I turned in my bed, trying to get comfortable, a smile on my face. I reached for my phone, looked at the time and turned it off to go back to sleep.

Wait.

Something isn't right.

And with light speed, I shot up from my bed, the word "shit" constantly rolling off my tongue because that was the only thing my brain could comprehend. Shit!

I took my phone again to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. '8:04' the time stared back at me smugly.

"Blood of Jesus" I muttered to myself as I scrambled out of my bed, stripping myself off my clothes with speed I didn't even know I possessed.

Why won't you develop superhuman powers when your class starts in precisely 6 minutes?

I ignored my subconscious, jumping into the shower with my toothbrush in hand. I don't even know how I did it but I was able to take a shower and brush my teeth in the span of two minutes. Two minutes! New record for me I swear.

You know, you rushing is totally useless because your classes start in less than 5mins and guess what? It's physics.

I let out a frustrated-stressed sigh as I collapsed on my bed with the thought in mind. If I decide to rush, I won't get to the class until 8:30 tops. And knowing that man, omo he'll make me reap what I sow. And I'm not ready to reap what I sow!

Yesterday after school, the gang basically just hung out a Timi's place. Well asides Bofa cause she had afterschool lessons even the she dreaded it. Being smart comes with a price right? Anyways, Kunle was literally dragged even though he was strongly opposing. My nigga, ain't no way in the damn universe are you going to go home and sulk when you have wonderful friends to keep your mind at bay. In my spirit of motivation, I held him on his shoulders with purpose in my eyes and I said, "in this life, sometimes you just have to say, rubber duck". Normally, the rest would have stared at me like I had grown two heads but surprisingly, they agreed with me. I swelled with pride at that moment not even gonna lie.

We also met Timi's brother, Darey, who is a vibe by the way. Us, girls, somehow got him to tell us embarrassing stories of Timi and Kunle and I swear, they blushed and cowered in embarrassment. It was hilarious. Later, my mom texted me that she had a quick flight she had to catch and was already on her way to the airport and the trip was three days long. Once I got home, I took liberty for stadium and binge watched Vincenzo. I had to stop at some point though because it was already two in the freaking morning and badabing badaboom, I'm waking up to see that my alarm rang thrice and I missed it.

Oh well, everything happens for a reason I guess.

Not in this situation.

_________________________♡

I was walking into the school, after successfully driving to school thanks to Tunde who decided to be Vin Diesel. It was fun, asides the part where I thought I was going to die.

He also helped me get past security because normally students were already having class. So it was only normal for them to ask questions but Tunde being the awesomest driver ever, bailed me out by giving one excuse about the tire going flat on the road or something. After that, I was pardoned and allowed access. I gave Tunde a fist bump before getting down from the car and as always, he passed the vibe check.

Instead of going straight to my class to own up for my tardiness like a normal, good student, I made a beeline for the tennis court which also happened to be the volleyball court of the school. I prayed silently to my eleda that the school's coach wouldn't be there so you wouldn't imagine my happiness when I saw the place empty. I climbed up the bleachers which was sun protected so I didn't have to bother about going home with mad sunburns regardless of the amount of sunscreen I apply everyday.