CHAPTER 9

//Ava's POV\\

So I've been laying on my bed with Johnson for two hours.

At least I'm not crying my heart out like I was, like, two minutes ago. Johnson finally managed to somehow calm me down.

I can't believe Cam led me on for like, oh you know, THE PAST THREE FREAKING YEARS, and then when I flipping go on a walk with Johnson I see him with this girl.

"It was probably just some fan," Johnson assures me.

"I thought so too... until I saw him look at her the way he used to look at me..." I reply sadly.

"You're way better than her in my eyes," Johnson says.

"Thanks, Jack. But I can't compete with a girl who's smile can probably cure cancer," I say.

Johnson probably ran out of things to say to get me back up again because he just looked at me with sad eyes.

"C'mere," he says and pulls me into a hug.

I press my face into his shoulder. "Thank you, Jack," I mumble.

"For what?" He asks.

"For being here for me after, you know..." I sigh.

"No problem," he says softly.

"And for getting me Starbucks," I add.

Jack laughs. "I'm guessing you're all good now?"

I pull away from his hug. "Yep, pretty much." I smile.

"Good," he says. "Well since you're fine, I'm gonna head back to my room."

"Ok, see you later Jack!" I reply.

Before exiting through the door, he leans down a little and kisses my forehead, taking me by surprise.

Johnson winks and leaves.

I, once again, still have nothing to do. Then I remember CJ and Hayes wanted to do something with me earlier.

I burst through the door that connects my room to Hayes'.

"So what did you guys wanna do?" I ask right when I walk in.

CJ and Hayes were just slouching on Hayes' bed on their phones.

CJ glances up and immediately stands up. "OH YEAH! I THOUGHT WE COULD GO WINDOW SHOPPING AT THE PIER AT THE BEACH NEAR OUR HOTEL!" She exclaims. For a petite fourteen year old girl, she has a lot of dynamite in her system.

I smile. "Ok, sure. Sounds like a plan." I point at Hayes who is still on his phone. "Is that coming with us?"

CJ grabs a pillow off the bed and smacks Hayes upside the head. "Hey betch! Are you coming?!" She demands.

"Sure, and OW?!" Hayes says.

"I'm assuming you guys have your pennyboards?" I ask.

"Who do you think I am?!" CJ asks like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Ok, then let's go. Wait hang on, let me go get Nash's board, I didn't bring mine," I say.

"I feel so ashamed of you, Ava," CJ says in fake disbelief.

I laugh and roll my eyes.

• • •

CJ, Hayes, and I were sitting on a bench on the pier, licking ice cream, watching the sun set and touch the ocean.

"Hey, Ava," CJ says, breaking the silence.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"What happened earlier?" She asks.

"Oh, you mean when you and Hayes stormed into my room during this little 'incident?'" I ask.

She nods her head yes.

"Ok, so to start from the beginning, I was bored, so I went on a walk with Johnson and we went to Starbucks-"

"White girl," Hayes interrupts.

"Shut up, you're just jealous I didn't take you with us," I defend.

Hayes sticks his tongue out at me and I do the same.

"CONTINUE WITH YOUR STORY!" CJ demands.

"Oh yeah, so on the way back I tripped and stuff, you know, my usual clumsiness. And then Johnson pointed out this couple walking a little in front of us. The guy turned his head a little and you'll never believe who it was," I say.

"Who?!" Hayes and CJ ask in perfect unison.

"It was Cameron Alexander Dallas," I say bitterly.

"OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO BEAT THE FREAKING CRAP OUT OF CAM WHEN WE GET BACK TO THE-" CJ starts.

"No," I interrupt. "I'll deal with it. I don't think Cam wants to die from being slapped repeatedly by a fourteen year old girl," I laugh.

"HE'S GOING TO!" CJ demands.

"Wait hold up," Hayes says.

CJ rolls her eyes. "Hayes is late, once again."

Hayes glares at her. "Shut up and let me talk." He turns his attention back to me." I thought you and Cam liked each other," he said, utterly confused.

"Yeah, I thought so too until a little while ago," I sigh. The sun was now half into the ocean. "We should get back to the hotel," I say, eager to change the subject.

"YES WE SHOULD, BECAUSE I'M HUNGRY AS-" I clamp a hand over CJ's mouth.

"Shut up and start walking while there's still light out. And don't worry, Bart told we we're all gonna eat out tonight," I tell CJ.