Chapter 2: Grace

It was weird seeing him yesterday. And to find out he was trying to wave me down in the parking lot so he can yell at me for coming to his place of work? I didn't want to make him upset.

I got off my bus and walked into school. My mother drove me to the eye doctor to get a new pair of glasses. It was my fault I tripped, I hope he or his girlfriend doesn't think it was their fault.

I pushed my glasses up as I opened the book I got yesterday. I walked to the library because I have study hall first period.

I was walking between the shelves until I was pushed up against the case. My book fell and my glasses fell onto my nose. I pushed my glasses up and looked up at the person standing before me.

" Grace is it?" He tilted his head. "I- yes." I gulped. I think his name is River Delgado. I didn't want to ask because I think he was mad at me.

" think your so special huh?" He spat. " I don't know what you mean."

" You. Yesterday at the bookstore."

" if you want the book back I'll give it to you but please let my arm go." He looked down and yanked his hand away. " how stupid are you? It's not about the book!"

" I'm not stupid."

" I'm sorry how bout clueless?" He said. " I'm sorry for what I did to you, but I would appreciate it if you wouldn't call me names like that."

He scoffed, laughed a little. " who have you told?"

" told?"

" that I work at the fucking bookstore, who did you tell?" He said in anger and worry in his eyes. Why was he so worried about working at the bookstore. I think is a great job, I would love it.

"Why would I tell someone, don't your friends know, I think it's great to work at a bookstore, just think of all the books you can get." He rose a brow at me. " sorry I was rambling." I looked down at my feet.

" you will never tell anyone." He pointed a finger in my face. " why shouldn't I?" I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes. " ok what do you want? Money?" He pulled out his wallet. "books?"

" Just tell me?"

" let's be friends?!" I asked. He pushed away and looked at me. " friends?"
" yes. I don't really have any and you seem pretty funny." I smiled as I picked up my book.

" I... ok." He said it as a question. I frowned. "Do you not want to?" I felt the waterworks coming. " Shit, don't cry... fine we can be friends."

" yes!" I wiped my face. " do you want to get coffee with me after school?"
" Whatever." With that, he walked away. I stood there smiling. I'm friends with River!