Chapter 7: River

This nickname is the death of me. Her eyes light up every time I say it. I mean it's not a big deal, right? It's just a nickname that came to me.

I walked around my family's bookstore with Gracie. My family has noticed the number of books she's bought here so they gave her store credit. Now she can get 10 books free. She's spent over $300 here, the least they can do is give her some books for free.

Her plan was the pick what she likes and then sort them all out later. I offered to hold the books. So far I had 13 in my hand.

" don't you think you have enough choices?" I asked. " I want to make sure I get credits worth." She proceeded to place another book in my hands.

I caught my balance and just as I did I heard Gracie talking to someone.

I turned around and she was talking to my mother. Of all people, my mother!

" Mom! What are you doing." I asked. " just seeing how the book hunting is going." She smiled widely. " it's going great, River is helping me!"

"Yes, he's not very helpful to anyone really... I guess you got lucky." She walked away after giving me a second glance. I know what she was doing. She thinks I like Gracie. I don't. I'm just her friend. She's just a friend. Sort of.

She looked up at me with wide eyes and smiled. "your mother is really pretty, I see where you get your looks." She said quickly and skipped down the aisle of books.

She finally chooses her ten and brought them to the counter. Only three fit into the bag so I had to get more bags.

" I'm really excited to read these books, can you tell your parents I said thank you?" I gave her a nod and handed her the last bag.

She parted her lips to say something else but stopped herself. " what?" I stepped down from the counter.
" I um... I just wanted to say you're a really great friend." She pushed herself up on her toes and tried to kiss my cheek. I moved the other way and her lips met mine.

And for a second, she kissed me back.

She went back down on her toes and her face was bright red. " I'm so sorry I meant to kiss your cheek and I... I'm such an idiot I shouldn't even be trying to kiss your cheek, please please please forgive me?" She begged.

" I don't know, you did just attack me with that kiss." She gasped and lowered her head. I don't think she knows I'm kidding.

I heard her sniffle and I cursed myself.

" no no grace I'm sorry I didn't mean to, I did that on purpose." I held her shoulders. " what." She sniffled and looked up at me.

" I turned my head so my lips would touch yours."

" w-what? Why?"

" When a guy likes a friend they do that." What a lie. Maybe she'd go for it.
A soft smile appeared on her face and I was just glad she didn't find the lie.

" friends kiss?" She asked. All I did was nod.
She then proceeded to get back on her toes, I knew it's as coming and I wasn't stopping it.

She pressed her lips to mine, pecking my lips.
" bye River." She smiled. " bye Gracie."