Chapter 23: River

She's sad. Why? She left for a while and when I found her she was crying. I didn't know seeing her cry would break my heart so much.

As a normal boyfriend would do I climbed the ladder on the side of her house and knocked on her window.

I wanted to celebrate my win with her. The rest of the team was out partying. I wanted her to be proud of me because I won the game. Now she's upset with me. I can't celebrate.

I didn't hear any movement. She leaves the window unlocked for me now. Yes, it was dangerous but she's too pure for this world.

I climbed in and she was laying on her bed, her face in the pillow.

" baby." I closed the window behind me and she tightened her grip on her pillow. " what did I do?" I brushed her hair back. She's ignoring me.

" I'm giving you the silent treatment." She mumbled into her pillow. She's really bad at the silent treatment.

" what can I do to make this better?"

" tell me the truth." She finally sat up. Tears covered her pillow and her face.

" What truth?" I asked. " you were just using me so I wouldn't tell anyone about the stupid bookstore." She said through her tears.

She gots to be fucking kidding me. USE HER? Who the fuck told her that.

"Why do you think that, it's not true?" I wiped her face with my thumbs but she turned away from me.

" I mean look at me!" She finally met my gaze.
" I'm looking at a beautiful human who's crying is breaking my heart." I grabbed her hand but she refused again. " I'm not pretty enough, I wear stupid dresses all the time, it makes me look like a desperate slut, Lyla is so much prettier than me." She cried harder.

" How dare you say such things about yourself." I grabbed her thighs trying to get her to look at me. " Grace look at me." She shook her head and wiped her face with her hand. "Grace," I said firmly. I didn't like when she was scared but I needed her to look at me.

" You'll go back to Lyla, you always do." She looked to the window. I grabbed her face and forced her to look at me.

" you listen to me, you think I would take time out of my day to ride that slow-ass bus with a creepy driver when I have a perfectly working car. Or spend hours trying to find a book you'd like so I can see the excitement on your face when you say you've been looking for this book? Or when I spend multiple minutes waiting on you to pick an ice cream flavor. Or go out my way and get a hotel room so I can make you feel good. Or risk falling off your roof just so I can see you? And you can't forget I've stopped hanging out with my friends because you're uncomfortable around new people, I was hanging out with a desperate slut that day Lyla called you a freak, Lyla is the slut, and I still hate myself for breaking your glasses because they make you look so fucking cute. You are perfect, I love your dresses, I love when you get surprised at the littlest things. I love when you tell me how much you enjoyed your carrots for lunch...." I paused and took a breath.

" And I love you."

She was watching me intently. Her eyes widen at the last part. " I can't stand to see you hurt Grace. It physically makes me sick to my stomach if I don't go a day without hearing your voice."

" b-but Lyla said that..."

" Lyla?" I cut her off. She nodded her head and cried more. " she told me all the things I said and told me you were just going to go back to her."

" don't even listen to Lyla." I wiped her face with my hands. "Listen to me."
" it's hard." She mumbled. " to block her out."

" You let me handle Lyla ok?" She nodded and immediately wrapped her around my torso. She cried into my chest muttering sorries.

I could never blame her.

" R-River." She lifted her head. " yeah?" I said stroking her hair back. " I love you too."