Chapter 35: River

I closed my locker and was met by a girl holding a poster board and a flower bouquet.

She was blushing and smiled at me. I smiled at her and looked around and found a guy looking at her. His head down.

" How bout you ask him?" I guide her over to him.

I started to take a look around me and the girls we're doing big asks to the dance on Friday. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I mean that's how I've always seen it.

I went to class and Finn and I talked as I waited for Grace.

I saw Grace walk in and she sat down right next to me and moved her chair closer and looping her arm in mine as she laid her head on my shoulder.

I kissed her on her forehead and continued talking to Finn.

" why are the girls asking the guys anyway, I'm so confused?"

" it's a Sadie Hawkins Dance, it's where the girls ask the guys." A light went off in my head and I turned to Grace who was messing with the hem of her dress.

" oh, but guys can still ask the girl right." I know Grace wants to go but I know she would probably be nervous asking me.

" not how it's supposed to go." He glanced at Grace before heading to his seat.

It's Friday, the day of the dance and I am still unsure if Grace wants to go.

After basketball practice, I was talking to the boys after we changed and came out of the locker room, ready to go.

Next thing I know I felt a tiny tap on my shoulder. I turn around and my Gracie is standing there with a poster board and a bouquet of roses and candy.

Oh, baby.

" hi, River." She gulped.

" hi, Grace," I said as I read the rhyme on the poster board. "I, um... do you want to go to the dance with me?" She held out the board further.

She handed me the flowers and bag of my favorite candies.
I watched her blush consume her. She was looking at her feet nervously.

Did she actually think I'd say no. I'd say yes if she asked me in the mall that day. She put effort into this and it makes it even more special.

" Yes of course baby." She lets out a breath and lets the poster down but not before I engulf her into a hug kissing her face.

" you did this for me?"
She nodded into my chest and I felt my love for her grow stronger.

She did this for me.