XXII

Kai couldn't sleep. Soobin had to work an overnight shift today so Kai was left by himself inside their huge house. This house is so big that Kai hasn't even walked into some of the rooms. He's only been in the living room, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom.

Maybe he should take this alone time to go explore the 'unknown', as he likes to call it. 

He's having trouble sleeping without having Soobin by his side so it's not like he has much else to do.

Kai pulled himself out of bed and grabbed put on one of Soobin's many t-shirts scattered across the floor. He made his way down the hallway past their bedroom. He's never done this before and it feels like he's no longer in his home anymore. 

It's like he's somewhere completely different and his nerves started to get to him.

Maybe he should turn back.

Kai hit his own forehead, "Calm down this is your home and there's nothing to be scared about."

He pushed through his fears and placed his hand on the first knob he saw. Swallowing his nerves he pulled open the door and that's when he saw-

an empty room?

That was anticlimactic. 

Kai went over to the next door and opened it to reveal the same thing; and the next; and the next.

"Are these all just empty rooms?" Kai asked himself, "I wonder what Soobin is planning to do with them." Kai was about to turn back around to see if he could fall asleep again but that's when he heard the front door open.

His eyes widened, "Who's there?"

There was no answer.

There's no way it can be Soobin because it's not even close to when he's supposed to clock out. Kai could hear footsteps coming his way and his heart began to race. Not knowing what else to do he made his way into the nearest room there was and curled himself into a ball in the back corner.

A door down the hall opened and closed before the person tried the next door, then the next, and so on. Each door was closer and closer to the room Kai was in until his door finally opened.

It was quiet for a few seconds before the person finally spoke up, "Kai?"

Kai hesitantly looked up and sighed in relief, "S-Soobin?"

"What are you doing?" Soobin made his way over to where Kai was only to be greeted with a punch on the shoulder.

"You jerk! I thought somebody broke in!" Kai furrowed his brows and stuck out his bottom lip to show he was upset, "Why didn't you tell me they let you off early?"

Soobin stared at the boy blankly before speaking, "I did." 

Kai quickly checked his pockets only to be reminded he's just wearing his boxers and they don't have pockets. He stood up and made his way to their bedroom, Soobin not far behind him, and sure enough he left his phone on the bed. He turned it on to see a text notification from Soobin. 

Kai chewed on his bottom lip from embarrassment.

"Is this the part where I punch you back?"

Kai nervously laughed before pouncing onto Soobin and pulling him into a hug, mumbling his apologies.

-

The next morning Kai made the two of them some hotteok to make up for last night. Soobin thanked him but called him an idiot and assured Kai that he wasn't mad at him. After they had finished eating Soobin began to wash the dishes and Kai just sat there and watched him.