Chapter 1

In the unpredictable shuffle of existence, no one knows the mysteries that remain documented in the records reserved for tomorrow.

No one knows what their future holds until they're confronted with fate, and learn too late that life is only borrowed.

Success comes at a price, too steep for most people to pay...

Within the years of youth and adolescent dreams, every kid takes life for granted.

Racing from the classroom, his eyes gleaming with excitement, Lemario Mitchell could feel his heart pounding.

The pulse and rhythm of his heartbeat were in sync with his exertion.

The pump of his legs was moving like an engine, something purring like a kitten in his ten-year-old mind.

Something that could do doughnuts in the street, with one pump against the gas pedal, like his dad's 1978 Chevy Impala.

Lost in the euphoria of competition-level adrenaline, Lemario hit the walkway of Kelly Lake Elementary school five strides ahead of his friends.

The sound of sneakers, squeaking across linoleum with the unmistakable impression of shoes searching for traction, could be heard resonating through his mind.

Laughter and gripes about how he would not get away followed in his wake.

His group of friends was hot on his trail, like a wolf in pursuit of a rabbit.

Girls could be heard giggling in their wake, cheering on their favorite competitor.

There was a group of about eight boys involved in a race to the parking lot.

The first one to the buses takes the pot, and each of them had put up ten dollars.

The idea of winning the competition between his friends was too intoxicating to not exert his best effort.

Twenty yards left, pass the school cafeteria, and twenty yards right past the administration building and he was home free.

That last section marked the top of the T that defined the design of the school.

The whisper of a cool breeze blew across the perspiration, at the nape of his neck, its presence made his mind more aware that he was moving at top speed.

None of his friends had a chance of catching him.

At the top of the T was the front walkway where the school buses parked to make pickups.

Lemario weaved his way through a throng of bodies, like a salmon gliding through rocks and weeds, in a fertile stream.

Preoccupied with avoiding any collision that may hinder his win, Lemario missed vice-principal Evonne Stokes standing amongst a group of kids, migrating from the administration building.

"Hey, slow it down." She called out after him.

"You know that there's no running in my walkway young man."

Lemario skid to a stop, with a grin of excitement, etched across his face as if he had just found a mega millions lottery ticket.

Winded from his run, Lemario could only smile when he saw his friends reach the top of the T, and saw the vice principal standing between them, and the finish line.

Each of them knew that they were in danger of being given detention, so no one said anything as she began to admonish them.

"Are you in that big of a rush to leave school," she asked, her gaze centered on Lemario.

TEARS OF RAGEOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara