Chapter 5

Within an orb of existence, in which ambition supersedes every conceivable consequence, that may arise from certain risks, a person must be prepared to tackle any type of adversity that may confront them.

As Charmaine Wilcher stood before her bedroom mirror, scrutinizing her wardrobe, she considered her options...

She had developed a seven-year career plan, that could carry her through college and law school, and position her firmly in corporate America.

She was dedicated to the theory, that proper planning and consistency were the key to ultimate success.

Dressed in a soft pink blouse and white linen slacks, with matching pink sandals, Charmaine portrayed a picture of urban class and sophistication.

Her peach-colored lip-gloss glistened with seduction.

Her days of tracksuits, sneakers, and her usual tomboy image were a thing of the past.

Charmaine had dreams of becoming a corporate attorney.

When the fall semester began she enrolled in Spelman college and continued to work at Wicked Wheels, a customized car dealership owned by her mom's boyfriend.

The pay was decent.

The hours made it convenient, to manage her schedule without being a burden on her time.

At a quarter past seven, a car horn sounded before her mom's apartment.

"Charmaine get out there and tell that heifer to stop making all that noise." Her mom called out.

Charmaine grabbed her purse and books and hurried out of the apartment.

The morning sky had brightened.

There were multiple shades of blue and pink still expanding across the horizon.

The sun could be seen peeking above the buildings, like toasted bread above a toaster oven.

The bustle of traffic could be heard within the distance.

"Hey girl, thank you for coming... I hate riding Marta if I can help it."

Charmaine stated as she slid into the front passenger seat.

"Girl don't mention it, you know that you're like a sister to me."

Charmaine surveyed the interior of the car with a grin.

"I'm surprised Kenny's crazy-ass let you drive his car. You must have him whipped..."

"Girl please, I could care less what that stupid bastard does. I'm bout ready to kick him to the curb; true story!"

"You serious?!" Charmaine laughed.

"What's he done now, cheating?"

Shonda scoffed with disgust.

"I wish it was that simple. But you wouldn't understand."

She gave a head gesture to the backseat.

"That's my cousin Pluto. I don't think you've had a chance to meet him."

Charmaine turned to give a greeting.

"Check this out...I have a partner who I was locked up with, that lives in this area..." Pluto commented.

"Do you know anybody name, Swaylo, that lives around here ?"

Charmaine smiled and shook her head with a look of disbelief etched upon her face.

"That's crazy," she stated.

"Out of everyone in this neighborhood, you had to know my man. He lives two streets over, but it's doubtful that he's at home right now though."