Chapter 16

If the essence of success is determined by wealth, the feeling that a man feels when he's able to splurge on that special woman rises to a heightened elevation if he has the means of spreading around some money.

The expression of awe etched upon Charmaine's face was enough to fill his heart with pride.

The guilt that niggles at the conscience dissolved in the lightning strike of emotions that were displayed, in that instant, when her arousal, fear, and admiration was reflected on her face.

At that moment, it wasn't about the money...

It was about that special someone, and willing to lay it all on the line to make them happy.

It was about no more hand-to-mouth when the life of an outlaw made it easier.

"Where the hell did you get all of that money, Swaylo?"

"I can't speak on it right now, but I need you to keep this shit quiet... I can't afford to trust anyone at this point, so you've got to give me your word; with God as your Witness."

Charmaine stared into his eyes and saw the depth of his intensity.

How dare he question her loyalty, she brooded.

Did he not know that had he asked, she would have killed for him...

"I just need to hear it, ma... It's not about our bond."

He stated, estimating the cause of her sudden silence.

"With God as My witness, I'll never betray your trust or speak about anything that you tell me in confidence."

Swaylo gave a nod of satisfaction.

He kissed her lips.

Her eyes closed with a moan, as his arms enveloped her.

"Wow. Is all that your money Swaylo?" Dorian asked, walking into the bedroom as they were hugged up.

"Yeah. It's time to turn up around here..."

He replied with a ruffle of his baby brother's hair.

Staring beyond the horizon of days gone past, most people miss those moments, that establish the path to their happiness...

It's easy to forget the pain caused to other people when the world opens its treasure chest of wealth.

But Swaylo was wise enough to know, that at some point, Kirkwood Kenny would eventually come calling.

With that thought in mind, he sat both Charmaine and Dorian down to warn them not to betray him; by speaking to anyone outside of their immediate circle.

The only way to keep them safe, he reasoned, was to inform them to exercise caution, avoid strangers, and keep quiet about having seen him with any money...

There was no need to confide in them any specific secrets.

All they needed to understand, was that if anyone tried to milk them for information, do not say anything.

"I don't give a damn what you may have done, Swaylo..."

Charmaine stated and placed a hand against his chest.

She could feel the steady beat of his heart.

"Whatever you do out there in those streets, that shit better not take you away from me. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

Swaylo gave a solemn nod of commitment.

An unspoken pledge to make it home safe...

By any means necessary.

"I'm not about to leave you or my brother. That's my word."

Dorian giggled at excitement.

His gaze was focused on the large bundles of cash on the bed, and spilling from Charmaine's purse.

"Does this mean that I can get a costume for our school Halloween dance?"

At eight years old, Dorian's smile still had the power to persuade Swaylo to spoil him.

It was like looking at himself at that age, through the eyes of his baby brother.

There was nothing that his dad would not have done for either of them...

But Dorian had never had the chance to feel that.

It was time to give him some semblance of what he had felt, to have had his dad alive; at his age.

"Lil bruh we're about to party with you tonight..."

He replied, and pulled Charmaine closer, to place a kiss on her cheek.

"It's just us," he added. "And we're about to turn it up a notch, today."